Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Real Murders

Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Jan 13, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read in December, 2010

It's no secret that I'm a Charlaine Harris fan. I love the Sookie Stackhouse series and the Harper Connelly one, too. I think I just added another one of her series to my 'fave' list. :)

Aurora 'Roe' Teagarden is a single, twenty-eight-year-old librarian who lives in the small town of Lawrenceton. She lives in an apartment by herself--which happens to belong to her mother, so she also manages it--and has an odd interest in true crime. Actually, she's part of a little group called Real Murders. They meet once a month in the VFW Hall to discuss famous crimes, and share their strange interest in this subject.

Nothing out of the ordinary usually happens, though. It's all a very theory-based interest for all the members. They know their crimes, murderers, motives, speculations, and dates. Well, that changes the night that Roe finds the dead body of one of the club's members bashed to death and left lying in the kitchen. What's weird about the whole thing is that it's been set up to look just like a much older crime. A crime all the members of this macrabre club are very familiar with

And this isn't the last time it happens.

Now, Roe and the other members of Real Murders find themselves either victims, or made to look guilty by the murderer, as he goes about copying a whole bunch of other famous murders. Leaving a body count that has the police running around in circles and Roe getting caught up in the mystery.

Only Roe doesn't know just how close she'll come to being another one of those victims...

Real Murders is another Charlaine Harris gem. It's narrated by a very likeable character. I enjoyed seeing the world through her eyes, and going through the bizarre experiences she's forced to deal with too. Oh, and it's got a very cool love triangle. I wonder who Roe will eventually choose: the blond, stocky cop who's determined to do things the right away, but took some time to let his intentions be known... or the tall, redheaded crime writer who's very open about his interest in her? Either way, this is a killer of a book!

It's the first book in the series, which is very exciting because I've still got three more left in this volume. Can't wait!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Murders.