Ezmirelda's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

May 10, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, can-t-wait, wishlist, 5-stars, made-me-cry, must-read, paranormal, romance, love-love-love, vampires-alert, vampires, dystopian-2012
Recommended for: Everyone of course
Read in April, 2012

My problems with the cover explained in an excellent post written by the book brats: http://www.book-brats.com/ya-mass-med...

The Immortal Rules is a gripping post-apocalyptic novel set in a world ruled by vampires, and terrorized by the rabids. My first thought upon reading the summary was “Oh god, the vampires are back in town.” It’s like that awkward moment when a neighbor you didn’t like moves back into town. But these were NOT the human-friendly vegetarian vampires we have met in previous YA novels. These vampires were the REAL blood-thirsty psycho-killer man-eating ones. Just how I like it!

So the beginning starts off as a bit slow. You’re introduced to the world that Allie lives in and her family of fellow unregistered humans who are doing their best to survive. I love Allie’s fierceness and her hold on reality. She never buttered things up, she viewed the world as it was but at the same time didn’t waste her time pitying her miserable existence. That’s kind of what sets her apart from all the other unregistered. She’s grounded and on top of that she has a goal and a purpose—to follow her mother’s advice on how to change the world for humanity.

Kanin was a pretty interesting character. Though we don’t know too much about him, he teaches Allie that what kind of monster you become is totally up for you to decide. Later we meet Zeke. It took awhile for him to appear but when he did I was extremely glad. He automatically brought a bright atmosphere that I felt was needed at that point in the book. He’s kind of like Allie in the way that he’s goal-orientated and believes in something better than the world they live in. He’s an adorable character and contrasts nicely with Allie’s personality.

Overall, The Immortal Rules is a spell-binding read with bite, and characters to route for. Recommended? Definitely. You do not want to miss this!

THOUGHTS ON THE COVER:

Okay so if you've read the summary for this book you know that the character is obviously Asian and of Japanese descent. So why does the girl on the cover AND the book trailer look like she's of European descent? Seriously cover makers? Her name is Sekemoto. It's not exactly rocket science what her race is. I was really disappointed that the cover makers felt the need to change the race of the character as a marketing strategy. “People are more likely to buy a book if the person on the cover looks like them…blah blah blah” The girl on the cover is a model. Seriously, race aside, who REALLY looks exactly like a photoshopped model? Whether the girl was Asian or not would not have affected my decision to read this book in the least. I feel like if we, as readers of YA, do not bring problems like these to light more often then it will allow stuff like this to continue. And it is so WRONG on so many levels!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Before reading Immortal Rules:

Update # 1: Okay so if you've read the summary for this book you know that the character is obviously Asian and of Japanese descent. So why does the girl look like she's of European descent on the cover AND in the book trailer? Seriously cover makers? Her name is Sekemoto. It's not exactly rocket science what her race is. -_-

Stuff like this really annoys me.

Nevertheless when I read this book I will imagine the main character as how she's supposed to look like. The stupid cover makers can suck it.

I can NOT wait to read this book!!! :)

Update #2: Currently Reading
The character describes her eyes as squinty (not to be rude but that's the exact wording in the book) and her hair a black and her last name is Sekemoto. Must I go on? The cover makers got it all wrong. :/

Quote of character description from page. 15 (ARC copy):

My reflection stared at me, a dirty-faced girl with straight black hair and “squinty eyes,” as Rat put it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

04/06/2012 page 143
29.0% "Okay, I get the cover now! Haha, so she really does cry tears of blood." 1 comment
04/07/2012 page 485
100.0% "That was beautiful! If there isn't a 2nd book of Immortal Rules I'm gonna have a break down."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aphrodite (new)

Aphrodite Wow I soo agree with you on that!

Ezmirelda Aphrodite wrote: "Wow I soo agree with you on that!"

Yeah, I didn't realize it until someone brought it up to me. Apperently YA publishers are afraid of putting minority races on covers because they think it won't sell. :/

message 3: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 03, 2012 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezmirelda Wendy wrote: "That's terrible!"

When asked YA publishers replied that the people who buy their books are generally the majority race and that they are more likely to buy books if they see people on the cover who look just like them. Thus sparked the cover trend--girls in pretty dresses.

It gets to be really confusing when you actually read the book and the cover doesn't match the mc's description. :/

Hope you get to read this soon, it's amazing so far! :)

message 4: by Aphrodite (new)

Aphrodite WOW! yikes...

Jen | Before Midnight This isn't the first book where the protagonist is of a minority race and the publishers use a white girl because "that's what sells", and it won't be the last, unfortunately.

message 6: by Aphrodite (new)

Aphrodite ok w8 w8 in the ugly series by scott westerfield or something like that:p they use a asian girl. shes pretty too:) sooo yaa and the series is a bestseller

Ezmirelda Aphrodite wrote: "ok w8 w8 in the ugly series by scott westerfield or something like that:p they use a asian girl. shes pretty too:) sooo yaa and the series is a bestseller"

I feel like the last person left on the planet who hasn't read the Uglies series yet. Is it good?

Jen | Before Midnight I haven't read it either.

message 9: by Aphrodite (new)

Aphrodite hahaha same:p

message 10: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 06, 2012 09:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezmirelda Jennifer wrote: "I haven't read it either."

Aphrodite wrote: "hahaha same:p"

I remember when I was in grade school everyone carried around the volumes of that book and I kept thinking to myself "I have to read this book one day." I didn't learn till recently that it was a dystopian novel. I thought it was a book about middle schoolers getting bullied by the popular girls. lol :)

message 11: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 06, 2012 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezmirelda Why is there a rating on this book when I haven't even finished the book yet? *confused*

...

Okay I just fixed it. :) Hopefully it doesn't try to rate itself again.

message 12: by Aphrodite (new)

Aphrodite hahaha ya I thought it was about this girl wanting to be pretty like other girls and she thought of herself as ugly.

Jen | Before Midnight I had no idea what it was about at first either. I had to read the summary. I thought the same as Ezmirelda at first lol.

I had to go look to see when Uglies was published, because I couldn't remember anyone walking around reading it. I was in college. :/ lol

message 14: by Aphrodite (new)

Aphrodite Aww hahah its ok:)))

Ezmirelda Jennifer wrote: "I had no idea what it was about at first either. I had to read the summary. I thought the same as Ezmirelda at first lol.

I had to go look to see when Uglies was published, because I couldn't reme..."

I just looked at the pub date and that was 2005....I was in elementary school back then. It was one of the popular books, along with The Girl on the Milk Carton, and A Child It. During reading time those were the books everyone took out.

Jen | Before Midnight Ezmirelda wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I had no idea what it was about at first either. I had to read the summary. I thought the same as Ezmirelda at first lol.

I had to go look to see when Uglies was published, becaus..."

You make me feel old. Lol

I remember those books, too. I read A Child Called It in high school psychology class. Did not enjoy it at all. Too depressing for me.

message 17: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 06, 2012 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezmirelda Jennifer wrote: "Ezmirelda wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I had no idea what it was about at first either. I had to read the summary. I thought the same as Ezmirelda at first lol.

I had to go look to see when Uglies was..."

I still haven't rad A Child Called It yet. Is it about child abuse?

Lol, I'll be graduating from HS next year. I've just started looking at possible colleges I might want to go to.

Jen | Before Midnight A Child Called It is about child abuse. It's incredibly depressing but well-written, I thought. Then again, it's been awhile since I read it.

Amanda The Book Slayer I thought the beginning was choppy and a little disconnected. Loved the end though.

Ezmirelda Mommaseymour wrote: "I thought the beginning was choppy and a little disconnected. Loved the end though."

Lol you mean when she was living with the other unregistereds? I think I fell in love with the story once Zeke appeared. Have you noticed that there was hardly any description of Kanin but then as soon as Zeke arrives there's a full description of him? I wonder why it took a long to introduce such an important character to the novel.

Amanda The Book Slayer Totally agree. It was so confusing. I thought Kanin was going to be the main guy. Nope. I don't know what page I started really liking it but it was over half done. However she redeemed herself with the ending.

message 22: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 07, 2012 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezmirelda Mommaseymour wrote: "Totally agree. It was so confusing. I thought Kanin was going to be the main guy. Nope. I don't know what page I started really liking it but it was over half done. However she redeemed herself wit..."

I agree, the endingwas amazing. It made me want to read more. I already knew Kanin wasn't going to be the main guy when I realized that the author didn't give a description of how he looked like.

In YA novels they make it a point to realy describe how the male love interest looks like. So when I saw the 'blonde hair blue eye teenage boy' description I knew it would be Zeke.

message 23: by Ezmirelda (last edited Apr 09, 2012 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezmirelda According to the article linked below there were many people who were angry by the fact that Rue from the Hunger Games was black. Some even went onto twitter and other sites and said that they didn't feel sad about her death anymore after finding out about her race. So someone made a tumblr page discussing all of the tweets posted concerning this issue. The things I read were absolutely horrendous.

I thought the article was pretty interesting and related to the whole cover issue so here's the link if you want to read it:

Plus the tumblr page:

And this article sums up the whole situation the best:

Amanda The Book Slayer Wow that's sad. What does race have to do with any of it. My only thing about the cover is it was confusing looking at one thing while reading about another.

message 25: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL your getting me excited to read this :)

message 26: by TL (new) - rated it 4 stars

TL i agree with you about the cover art people though, its ridiculous

Sarah Totally agree about the cover. The girl looks nothing like how Allie is described! Terrible cover!

Ezmirelda Sarah wrote: "Totally agree about the cover. The girl looks nothing like how Allie is described! Terrible cover!"

I should have known this was going to happen. There has been so much white washing lately. The Warm Bodies movie coming out next year was another one that aggravated me. The girl was supposed to be African American and then they changed her to a blonde girl. How are we supposed to recognize her from the book if she has different colored hair eyes and different race? It's plain ridiculous. :/

Jen | Before Midnight The cover for Justine Larbalestier's "Liar" was also going to be white-washed. The final girl featured on the cover is still lighter than the character's description in the book but it's better than nothing.

I think white-washing is shameful, and I don't see how putting a white girl on a cover versus a black girl or asian girl or any other race will make a book sell better. I think it's all a bunch of racist crap.

Ezmirelda Jennifer wrote: "The cover for Justine Larbalestier's "Liar" was also going to be white-washed. The final girl featured on the cover is still lighter than the character's description in the book but it's better tha..."

The publishers argument is that mostly white girls read YA novels and they like to see themselves on book overs and that's what makes it sell. But if you really think about it even when it comes to that who identifies themselves as a (most likely pale) photoshopped model? I honesty don't think anyone sees themselves in those book covers. YA is the one genre in all of fiction that doesn't have much diversity and it's really sad. I've seen tons of it in MG and adult books but close to none for YA. :/

Jen | Before Midnight Ezmirelda wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "The cover for Justine Larbalestier's "Liar" was also going to be white-washed. The final girl featured on the cover is still lighter than the character's description in the book bu..."

Oh I know the argument. I'm just saying that it's a load of crap. If you say they put white girls on the cover because it makes the most money (white girls identify with white girls, are more likely than a girl of another race to buy the book), they're at the very least overlooking a demographic that could potentially make even more money for them.

And what about really listening to readers? Seems like eevery book we come across that's been white-washed, someone makes a comment about how the cover image doesn't match the description of the main character.

I'm actually concerned that we'll end up with people being so used to the white washing that iff they try to put someone with dark skin on a cover we'll get an uproar a la The Hunger Games (with regards to Rue).

...I wonder if I could subject college students to some kind of study to see how people see characters, even after reading a description of the character. (Sorry, I have a psychology degree. Love research.)

message 32: by Ezmirelda (last edited Jun 02, 2012 04:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezmirelda Jennifer wrote: "Ezmirelda wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "The cover for Justine Larbalestier's "Liar" was also going to be white-washed. The final girl featured on the cover is still lighter than the character's descript..."

Yeah, just thought I'd share my part on why their argument seemed like a bad excuse to me. I completely agree with you. I'm starting to think that the publishers don't care about this topic at all. It's become almost taboo and they brush it off as much as they can. The horrible comments about Rue on twitter alone was enough to make me cringe. We live in a society now where it's okay to white wash. The thing that I linked before said that to the general population white is a default for the characters in a book and that they are "white until proven otherwise". Whenever I read a book and there hasn't been a description yet I automatically picture the character as white without really putting much thought to it. I only realized I did this after I read the article. I'm so used to the character being one race that I always imagine them as it until I see further details about the characters features.

I think this all goes back to the popular study they did where they put a bunch of children in a room of different race and asked them to pick the white Barbie or black Barbie. And sure enough children of different backgrounds all picked the white one. At an early age the white default is already setting in. I'm afraid there'll be tons more situations like the uproar caused by Rue being black in the future. Its already started again recently when a black actor wanted to try out for the Part of Finnickn Odair.HG fans immediately responded with threats and hate mail. I would love to see the results of the research if you decide to do one on it! :)

Jen | Before Midnight I do the same thing as you when reading. I became aware of it when I was reading some book (I think it was Beneath a Meth Moon) and there's no physical character description until later in the book. And I realized I do that a lot.

As a society, the whole white wash thing has been going on for a long time. For centuries, it was not ok to be anything other than white. We say we are enlightened, but the truth is we still think of white as beautiful. Even someone with "dark skin", we see those with lighter skin (such as Halle Berry) as more beautiful. It is so engrained in us that we have to teach our children to think of "not white" as attractive.

As a mother, this saddens me.

I forgot about the actor that people wanted/didn't want to play Finnick. The whole Rue/Thresh issue was so big it kind of overshadows Finnick in my mind. Some people were up in arms about Lenny Kravitz playing Cinna but I really think the casting so far has been spot on.

I'm going tonight to see HG at the drive in. I just reread it so it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

Ezmirelda Jennifer wrote: "I do the same thing as you when reading. I became aware of it when I was reading some book (I think it was Beneath a Meth Moon) and there's no physical character description until later in the book..."

This blog post pretty much sums up all of the problems of white washing in YA and the Media.