Heatheraine's Reviews > Bodyguard of Lies

Bodyguard of Lies by Bob Mayer

Jan 13, 11

Read in January, 2011

In BODYGUARD OF LIES by Bob Mayer (ePublished 2010) hidden deep within the United States, the Cellar is a secret spy organization who polices the world of covert operations. Two women from completely different walks of life are thrown into a dangerous fight for their lives like a modern day Thelma and Louise. Kindle Edition from Author

Neeley is the lover and apprentice of one of the Cellar’s now dead operative, Anthony Gant. After his death, Neeley searches out the mysteries that Gant left behind. Hannah is a rich housewife whose husband mysteriously leaves her and is connected to Gant’s secret. When they meet a plan is set in motion to uncover the dangerous secrets that someone high up in the government is trying to keep hidden.

Neeley is a sexy, dangerous assassin who seems to not have a conscience. But as Hannah talks and opens her up, we see the layered person that she really is. I found her more intriguing than Lisbeth in “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.”

Hannah is a surprising character to the degree that I need to read the second book to see how her life pans out. She starts out a depressed, everyday-average housewife whose husband disappears. When Neeley finds her they are forced together to escape death. (I won’t say why, because that will spoil it!) But Hannah handles being pursued by dangerous, hired gun, Racine, sent by the Cellar, like she might handle a mix up at the grocery store.

Racine, the crazy assassin chasing them, is seriously screwed up. Everything he does is creepy, even the tone of his narrative creeped me out. (Note to self: stay away from guys who break into houses naked!)

BODYGUARD OF LIES is very well told and the plot is exciting and fresh. With a dash of intrigue and a pinch of thriller, this book held me to the very last page. The first 25% of the book is character setup but very worth it for the investment in Neeley and Hannah. If you can get past that, you’ll love the rest. I love endings that I don’t see coming. The end is guaranteed to surprise.

The only negative I’d have to say about this book is the ugly cover. But, of course, never judge a book by its cover. But for visual people—such as myself—I would not have looked twice at this book because of the bland cover.

I’d rate this book at a 4. It was very good because of the surprises and the deep characters. I’m headed to Amazon to download Book 2 on Kindle: LOST GIRLS by Bob Mayer.

"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." Winston Churchill
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bodyguard of Lies.