Lisa Kay's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Jan 13, 2011

bookshelves: genre-steampunk, genre-fantasy, genre-romance-paranormal, amazing-secondary-characters, reviewed-by-me, authors-g, authors-c, m-all-romance-dot-com, genre-romance-love-laughter, series-p
Recommended to Lisa Kay by: ✿Michelle✿, Sans, Lady Danielle, Carolyn F., Melanie
Read from May 26 to 30, 2011

★★★★½ Soulless is my first foray into the world of “steampunk.” Well, other than the writings of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne, read to me by my adventurous mother.

Dirigable from Ms. Carriger’s website.
dirigeable
I will be honest and say I just didn’t see the appeal until somewhere around the middle of the third chapter. Maybe I was too focused on figuring out the subtle world building to sit back and enjoy the ride until then. (Unsure what a claviger, drone, or dewan was, I do still wish there had been a glossary provided. At my age, I need to read things more than once to comprehend them. Scroll about half-way down the page on this link and these terms, and others, will be explained: Soulless on Shelfari.)

And the world building is subtle at first. It took a while to see things take off or even understand why this was considered steampunk instead of paranormal. However, when things do take off – they zoom! I will tell you Miss Alexis Tarabotti, a preternatural, and Lord Conall Maccon, the Alpha leader of the Woolsey pack of werewolves, are delightful and their witty dialogues entertaining. Each feels the other is in the way of their investigation, all the while denying their mutually growing attraction. There is evil afoot in Victorian London and these two are bound and determined to find it and root it out.

For those of you, like me, who find the going slow at first, stick with it; it’s well worth your time. Amazing secondary characters too!

What a fun read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Gail Carriger
“I may be a werewolf and Scottish, but despite what you may have read about both, we are not cads!”

Gail Carriger
“My dearest girl,' said the vampire finally, examining Lord Maccon with an exhausted but appreciative eye, 'such a banquet. Never been one to favor werewolves myself, but he is very well equipped, now, is he not?'

Miss Tarabotti gave him an arch look. 'My goodies,' she warned.

Humans,' chuckled the vampire, 'so possessive.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia figured, delightedly, that this meant he did, in fact, tend to traipse around his private apartments in the altogether. Marriage was becoming more and more of an attractive prospect.”

Gail Carriger
“He was so very large and so very gruff that he rather terrified her, but he always behaved correctly in public, and there was a lot to be said for a man who sported such well-tailored jackets---even if he did change into a ferocious beast once a month.”

Gail Carriger
“A vampire, like a lady, never reveals his true age.”

Gail Carriger
“She filed the image away as an excellent and insulting question to ask the earl at an utterly inappropriate future moment.”

Gail Carriger
“I kissed her," he explained, aggrieved.

"Mmm, yes, I had the dubious pleasure of witnessing that, ah-hem, overly public occurrence." Lyall sharpened his pen nib, using a small copper blade that ejected from the end of his glassicals.

"Well! Why hasn't she done anything about it?" the Alpha wanted to know.

"You mean like whack you upside the noggin with that deadly parasol of hers? I would be cautious in that area if I were you.”

Gail Carriger
“Goodness gracious me,' exclaimed Alexia, 'what are you wearing? It looks like the unfortunate progeny of an illicit union between a pair of binoculars and some opera glasses. What on earth are they called, binocticals, spectoculars?”
tags: humor

05/28/2011 page 58
16.0% "Slow going on this one; though I like it."
05/29/2011 page 184
52.0% "Glad I picked this back up; much better after it gets going."
07/23/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber I just bought these three books today, I'm excited to read them!! Glad to hear you enjoyed it:)

message 2: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Thanks, Amber! I think I will indulge in the rest of the series too.

Sans Great review! Looks like you have The Iron Duke on your TBR list? Let me know when you plan to read it!

message 4: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 31, 2011 12:45PM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Thanks, Sans! Yes, The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook looks to be a very good read. I suppose you have already read it? Ahhh...I see you haven't - great!

Sans I'm thinking we might have a candidate for another buddy read. ^o^

message 6: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Sounds good! Where are we meeting for Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, #1) by Kristin Cashore? Tomorrow, right? Somewhere in NBRC?

Sans Yep, tomorrow! I figured we could use the thread that's already there for it? It's under the Cashore, Kristin folder. I posted a note there a day or so ago.

message 8: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Found it!

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill I enjoyed this too LK. Very nice review.

message 10: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Thanks, Jill!

KarenF Loved this book! And agree about the secondary characters being great. I want to gossip with Lord Akeldama! I loved The Iron Duke too but it's definitely a "darker" read than Soulless.

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay I just loved Lord Akeldama! What a wonderful friend.

Juliana Philippa Great review! Bought this awhile ago and have been meaning to read it forever ... needs to move up in my TBR pile.

message 14: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Thanks, Juliana! I really enjoyed it.

Juliana Philippa I'm intrigued by this new genre emerging, steampunk romance. Doesn't seem to be too big yet, but I feel like it could swing in either direction - become super huge, or remain an underground-type genre and die out ... we'll see!

message 16: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay You have a good point, Juliana. We'll see! I just bought The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook, which was a rec. It may arrive today.

message 17: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy I don't want to sound dumb, but what is steampunk?

message 18: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jun 14, 2011 06:31PM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Good question, Kathy. I labeled Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1) by Zoe Archer as steampunk and was (gently) jumped on.

From Wikipedia:
Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s.[1] Specifically, steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century and often Victorian era Britain—that incorporates prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; in other words, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne or real technologies like the computer but developed earlier in an alternate history.

Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" for such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical engine.

Steampunk is sometimes thought of as related to cyberpunk, although apart from the shared origins of the name, they have almost nothing in common. Obviously their time period and level of technology are different, but steampunk settings also tend to be less dystopian. Steampunks themselves commonly have past connections to goth, more so than the cyberpunk or industrial scenes.

Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.
There is more at the site (the name links to the page).

message 19: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Thanks that was very interesting. I'll have to give this genre a try.

Juliana Philippa That book was recommended to me as well by another GR person. It's on my TBR list.

@Kathy: I actually had not known until recently that there was a "steampunk romance" genre emerging, but am a frequent buyer (and sometimes seller) on Etsy, where "steampunk" jewelry and decor has become HUGE! There are some very interesting pieces that people come up with.

Helenk I agree--I wish there was a glossary with pictures attached to the book.