Katie's Reviews > Awaken Me Darkly

Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter

Jan 15, 11

Read from January 13 to 15, 2011

I did not love this book. I first encountered the Alien Huntress series through Showalter's short story in the Deep Kiss of Winter (which I had bought for Kresley Cole's story, having never read Showalter before). That story had heat, intrigue, was fast-paced, and fun.

This book...not so much. I liked how hard-assed Mia Snow was, but there was truly NO chemistry between her and Kyrin. They were blah. I didn't find anything compelling about Kyrin either. He was blah. Perhaps that was the problem. Mia needed someone who was really her equal, and he was just...blah. I really wouldn't classify this book as a real romance, either. The cover art would lend a potential reader to believe it to be spicy romance, and it was much more vanilla than anticipated. I don't believe the main characters even met until a huge number of pages in. The few romantic scenes seemed forced and thrown in.

The storyline itself could have been shortened a lot. There were great scenes and blah scenes, but I found my mind wandering more often than not.

All in all, I didn't hate it, but I was much more compelled by her most recent short. I'll try Showalter again, and hope that this was an anomaly of her work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken Me Darkly.

message 1: by Chrystal (new)

Chrystal You should try her Lords of the Underworld series. Love them!!