Cinnamon's Reviews > Original Sin

Original Sin by Beth McMullen

F_50x66
Jan 13, 11

Read in January, 2010

When we meet Lucy Hamilton, she is a paranoid stay at home mom crawling through her shrubbery in the early morning hours looking for evidence of an intruder. We quickly discover the reason behind her paranoia-- Lucy used to be super spy Sally Sin. She left the agency, married a crunchy-granola environmental activist guy and started a family that now includes a high maintenance 3 year old named Theo. In the midst of all this suburban bliss, Lucy’s former handler calls her back into action to tempt her former nemesis to resurface.

The story’s pacing is quick with alternating episodes from Lucy’s life as Sally Sin and Lucy’s life as a mom. I loved the droll first person voice of Lucy which is quite often funny. And, the author, Beth McMullan, definitely knows all about life raising toddlers. Really, Original Sin is one part Alias and one part Desperate Housewives.

The mystery/thriller/spy thing is well done, but the character building could be better. I prefer to care more about my main character and believe in the behavior of secondary characters more. Her husband is an intelligent man. I doubt many men would willfully overlook as much as he does in this book.

Bottom line--Original Sin was quick, light entertainment with plenty of plot twists and turns. I will definitely pick up the next book about Sally/Lucy as I’m sure there will be one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Original Sin.