Elisabeth's Reviews > The Invisible Circus

The Invisible Circus by Jennifer Egan

F 50x66
Jan 13, 11

This is a wonderfully descriptive book, set in the late 70´s. Phoebe has just finished high school and sets out on an impromptu quest to find out more about how her sister died. She heads to Europe, following the path her sister made years before.

The story is rich, both historically and in terms of her own and her sister´s internal/emotional struggles. I imagine that most who read this would be able to relate on some level to the insecurities and difficulties that the characters face. And, if not, there is always the wonderful lighthearted descriptions of travels through Europe. Anyone who has slept in a shitty youth hostel in Paris will find themselves at home here.

I was glad to have been recommended this book, and even more so in that my friend warned me about the book having something of a rocky start. It is true! I am not quite sure what went wrong, but the beginning is just a bit off. I can´t remember when it got better, but a key here is to push through it--a large part of the book, as well as the ending, is worth its awkward start.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Circus.

Megan I'm happy to hear you ended up enjoying it. Nick is currently reading and mostly disliking it. He has ten pages left. I'm afraid this book's appeal might be mostly limited to females.