MCOH's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

F 50x66
Jan 13, 11

Gretchen Rubin doesn't dwell on deep philosophical questions and existential angst. She doesn't offer biochemical or evolutionary explanations of our moods and personalities. Nor does she search through repressed memories for early childhood trauma. She just tackles happiness in a very simple, straightforward way. She asks herself, what's bugging me? What makes me happy? What specific things can I do this month to feel better? She cleans out her closets, bites her tongue when tempted to nag her husband, starts a children's literature-themed book club, buys some bluebird figurines, exercises, goes to bed on time, counts her many blessings, signs up for an art class, and plans a party for her mother-in-law. Every month, she chooses a different focus, and then chooses multiple small, concrete goals within that area. Some of these actions are very satisfying to her, and others she decides are not worth continuing. By the end of the year, she concludes that she's still pretty much the same person, but she is definitely at least a little bit happier.

I can't say this is the best-written book I've ever read, but I like the overall concept. She has inspired me to think about specific, little things I can do feel happier.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.

Lisa Nelson Perfectly sums up how I felt about this book!

MCOH Glad you liked it! Looking forward to seeing you again!

Lisa Nelson Me too! I hope I can see you before book club. It was fun to be with your girls yesterday. I'm sure they are having such a great time at camp.

MCOH Thanks for driving up there yesterday! I'm hoping it will be a wonderful week for all of them.

I would love to get together! I'll email you separately about scheduling something.