Audrey Ferrie's Reviews > The End of Overeating: Taking Control of Our Insatiable Appetite

The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler

Jan 13, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction-food-and-health
Read in January, 2011

This is not a self-help book, nor is a diet book. I found the title misleading when I picked it up at the local branch of my library. Instead it is a book that about public health, the so-called obesity epidemic, and the science of human appetite. Written by a doctor who self-describes as fat, this title explores why a good majority of us can't stop eating fat, sugar, and salt. The premise, thoroughly explained scientific studies is that for some people it's not a matter of willpower, that these three things become nearly addictive because of our brain chemistry. Another large section of the book explains how the food industry exploits this, driving many Americans to overeat because of these tendencies. The author offers suggestions for overcoming this on a personal level.
Although well-written, I found it troublesome that much of what was offered from the multiple experts seemed tiny fragments of sentences, easily taken out of context. The notes at the end of the book helped, but the authors walking of the line between writing for a large audience and dumbing down the text wasn't always skillful. Additionally, readers who shy away from animal experiments and those who align themselves closer to the fat power movement than I might find this book less than thrilling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Overeating.