David's Reviews > I Love My New Toy!

I Love My New Toy! by Mo Willems

M 50x66
Jan 13, 2011

bookshelves: easy-readers

Mo Willems continues his Elephant & Piggie first reader series featuring an optimistic (and sometimes reckless) pig & a cautious, pessimistic elephant. In I Love My New Toy!, Piggie can't wait to show Gerald her brand new toy. But will an accidentally broken toy accidentally break a friendship? (Goodreads Summary)

The illustrations are fun as always. My favorites include Piggy showing Gerald her toy, Gerald throwing the toy, the toy zooming toward the ground, the squirrel snapping the toy together, and the final illustration.

I enjoyed Squirrel's appearance in the book.

I Love My New Toy! (Elephant and Piggie) by Mo Willems is spot-on in showing the emotions when a friend appears to have broken his friend's new toy. This easy reader series has large fonts, word bubbles, word repetition, & slapstick humor. Themes here include friendship, toys & emotions. Willems' ability to display the emotions of his characters is put to good use in this tale. There's a good moral at the end, plus the ending dialog is perfect!

For ages 3 to 7, preschool, beginning readers, for toy, friendship, & emotion themes, and for fans of Piggie, Gerald and Mo Willems.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love My New Toy!.