Wendy F's Reviews > Halfway to the Grave

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: 2011, urban-fantasy, vampires
Read from January 31 to February 03, 2011

I loved this book.

Cat was likeable and hilarious. I loved how she was both vulnerable and tough as nails. Her back story was sad and I felt for her, aching for her mother's love and acceptance but always feeling as if she were inherently evil. I was so glad when she met Bones and he slowly showed her that Vampires, like humans, weren't all evil. He opened her eyes to her own prejudices in a way that was honest and tender.

Which brings me to Bones... mmmm, Bones. He was so Sexy. I loved how he was vichious and aggressive, but when he was with Cat he was unguarded and loving. Many times through out the book I could feel my stomach curling with love for this character. (The English accent really helped too.)

Catherine's mother was the one I liked least in the book. Her hatred and animosity toward Cat through out the whole book was so awful. I know that I should feel for her, after what had happened to her. I just can't. I wanted Cat to leave her in the dust and run off with Bones.

Can't wait to start book two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halfway to the Grave.

Quotes Wendy F Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“We're going to knock those demons out and slay them with the power of Jesus. Hallelujah, can I get an amen?- Timmie”

Jeaniene Frost
“My father was English. He date-raped my mother so she's hated English men ever since. You know my boyfriend's English, and I'm, uh, I'm half-English, which she's never been real happy about. If she finds out I'm dating someone English, she'll ah, think I' turning my back on her and becoming a foreigner.'
Cathy, that's the stupidest reason I've ever heard.”

Jeaniene Frost
“Aside from the obvious, Francesca, what do you want in return for supplying information?” Bones asked, getting back to the subject. “You to take me,” she replied at once. “Not gonna happen!” I spat, squeezing him possessively. Three sets of widened eyes fixed on me. That’s when I realized that what I had a firm grip on was no longer his hand.”

Jeaniene Frost
“...that left Francesca to slink into the chair opposite us. My feeling of superiority was short-lived, however, when she settled herself down and then crossed her legs.

I didn't need a mirror to know my whole face had just turned red. With a hemline up to her thighs that gesture didn't leave anything to the imagination. Bones curled his fingers around mine and squeezed. His hand was still warmed from our contact moments ago. That's how fast he had to grab me again to keep me sitting where I was instead of yanking off my jacket to make her a pair of panties.”

02/01/2011 page 22
02/01/2011 page 90
23.0% "Okay, I'm ticked. The Kindle version is supposed to let me put in my percentage, not make me guess the page."
show 7 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laraine Click on "page" and switch it to the percentage sign :)

Wendy F Thank you!!! I don't know why I never noticed that you could click on 'page'.

It was driving me insane.

Laraine You're welcome! It confused me at first too! :D I didn't know it either until I stumbled on a thread about it a while back.

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I wonder if you think Cat is still likable in the second book.

Wendy F I haven't started it yet. I'm waiting for Shadowfever to come in, so I'm loathe to start another book just in case.

But now you've got me nervous...

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel LOL, well to be honest: I can get pretty strict and ranty and bitchy and I don't love some stuff that lots of other people loooooved (like the Dark Hunters series) but to me, the second book was where it started to go downhill for the series. I didn't like Cat and as the world got expanded Frost's limitations in world building and plotting became more apparent.

I just started the Fever series. I'm almost done with Darkfever. People said I'd probably hate it and hate Mac, but I'm actually really liking it. I stay away from anything Fever though, becase I'm terrified to get spoiled.

Wendy F Fever is EXCELLENT. And the books just get better and better. (that's all I'll say.)

I went ahead and started Night Huntress 2. I couldn't wait, especially after I went and read your review, haha.

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Can't wait to see how you like it! :)

Wendy F Shadowfever delivered today so it's going to have to wait. There's no way I can put off reading this book.

message 10: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Happy readings! :)

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Is it true that Shadowfever is only available in hardcover at the moment?

Wendy F Yes, right now it's only in Hardcover and I believe ebook (I have a Kindle).

If you don't have an e-reader to get a copy that way and can't wait the 6 months or so for the paperback, I got mine from Amazon for about 45% off.

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I just ordered it through bookdepository. Amazon charges delivery costs and mine wouldn't be too low (NL). I just checked Amazon.co.uk and they show it's cheaper on bookdepo too!
I love bookdepository.com, they deliver free all over the world and their books are sometimes almost half price, compared to what I pay for them in the American Book Center in my home town. Shadowfever is almost 30 euros there (so about 40 dollars)!
Granted: they do tend to get books early so I haven't completely given up on them :)

Wendy F Ah, yes. I didn't think about the shipping charges.

You finished Darkfever. Good Review. I agreed with everything you said. I didn't hate Mac, loved Barrons, and enjoyed it even if I wasn't jumping up and down over it.

Were you holding off on starting Bloodfever?

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Thanks Miss F :)
Not holding off on purpose. I ordered it this week and it should be arriving on Tuesday. :)