Renata Reider's Reviews > Immortal

Immortal by Gillian Shields

F_50x66
Jan 13, 11

Recommended to Renata by: best friend
Recommended for: maybe
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The book was good. A different story line than I expected, which is the reason I give it 3 stars. If this book had a similar story line as most YA books, I don’t think I would have liked it. The writing style is nothing to write home about. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either. Another reason I give the book a three is not b/c of the ending in book 1, but because of the ending in book 2. It was a complete surprise. I didn’t see that situation in the series being resolved the way it was and there will be a book 3 coming out in Aug. 2011.
One of reason I didn’t like the book was b/c I couldn’t like Sebastian. As the reader in book one, you aren’t supposed to like Sebastian very much or at least not fully trust him b/c of his past. However, that wasn’t the reason I didn’t like him. Sebastian is from the 19th century, a time where ladies were created and men turned into gentlemen. There was a certain way people spoke back then. It was more elegant and romantic. An example of this style of writing would be Jane Austen. Gillian Shield tries to capture this style of writing, but fails miserably. When Sebastian spoke, most of the time all I was able to picture was a whiny five year old boy and there were times, I completely forgot that Sebastian was 19 years old. I didn’t find Sebastian’s character to charming, mysteries, dangerous, sexy, I didn’t even view him as a “bad boy.” I just saw him as annoying and couldn’t understand what Evie say in him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal.