Robin's Reviews > A Home in the Heart of the City

A Home in the Heart of the City by Kathleen Hirsch

2064418
Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, history, boston, jamaica-plain, sociology
Read in January, 2011

I have complicated feelings about this book. On the one hand, there's nothing quite like reading a challenging, thought-provoking book about the neighborhood I love so fiercely, especially when it's written by someone who loves it as fiercely as I do. I appreciate that the author delved into all aspects of Jamaica Plain, even the nitty-gritty ones: crime, racism, gentrification. However, I can't help but notice that she apparently mentions the race of every person she encounters who isn't white (and rarely mentions when a person is white, unless it's relevant to the story she's trying to tell), and she chooses to put her kids in the private school system without fully exploring what a privilege it is to be able to do so. That said, I appreciate what Hirsch is trying to do with this book, and I think she succeeds overall. I learned a lot from this book, which is telling. I just wish that I didn't come away from this feeling like the author might be part of the problem (gentrification, racism, classism, etc) in JP, rather than being entirely part of the solution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Home in the Heart of the City.