Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*'s Reviews > Outcast Mine

Outcast Mine by Jamie Craig

Apr 25, 2011

bookshelves: carina-press, comfort-reads-rereads, criminals-mobsters-ex-cons, deception-betrayal-lies-omissions, scifi-fantasy, futuristic, injury-recovery, m-m, mates, otherworld, space, warriors, suspense, not-human-looking
Recommended to Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* by: Bookwatcher
Read from April 18 to 20, 2011

It's taken me a while to actually write this review because I wanted to figure out my feelings for this book first and also because I had a hard time deciding what to write.

I want more than anything to give this book five stars because it's really an extraordinary story with an abundance of suspense, world-building and intriguing characters. Unfortunately, I can't because, while it was fascinating to read and kept me captivated, I was still left with a bunch of questions.

To say I didn't love these characters is like saying I hate reading. Aleron and Jasak each had their own qualities and faults that made them both entertaining and quite lovable. Aleron is, from the start, a stubborn, determined, ruthless man. He's a smartass who considers himself a genius in all things thievery and escape. He thinks he can get out of Tantoret and will do it by any means necessary even if that means getting close to Jasak and using that to his advantage. Unfortunately, he's never had any proper, or real, emotional ties to another being so when he starts to for Jasak, it takes him by surprise and changes all his plans. Jasak is the head of the guards. Like the prisoners, he's been put on Tantoret because of a crime he committed. He's intelligent and acts indifferent but he's honorable and caring, to a fault, but has a bunch of misplaced guilt that causes him to be harder on himself than anyone else. He does what he can to make the lives of the sick prisoners as comfortable as possible, which is about the best he can do without compromising the delicate loyalty the other guards hold for him. As soon as Aleron is dumped on Tantoret, Jasak's life is turned upside down and havoc starts to reign in the prison.

The sci-fi aspect of the story is intriguing. All of the different species introduced and the wars mentioned were fascinating. I enjoyed the overall conflict and violence that occurred in Tantoret prison and how it gave an entertaining plot while at the same time giving us a sweet romance.

Like I said earlier, though, while I loved the book, it left me with more questions than I was comfortable with. (view spoiler) So while I enjoyed the story and appreciated and respected the world that was built, because after all it was extremely fascinating, I would have liked to learn more about the other cultures presented in the book since we never get a clear picture on any of them besides the humans. Which is kind of self-explanatory.

Overall, this is a fascinating story. The suspense starts off right from the bat and rarely lets up. While it's not as detailed as some of us may like it to be, I think those who love sci-fis will take some enjoyment out of this one because it's really a good book once you emerge yourself in it. Definitely recommended.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outcast Mine.

message 1: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jan 28, 2011 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bookwatcher Read it Niky!!!! it's an amazing book!! I loved it!

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol .I'm going to try and read it after I get my january books read but then I have to start working on my gang bang books so I'm not sure when I'll get to it. Hopefully soon :-/

Alyosha Niky I have this too on my gb-list, let's read it together :}

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Kk, sounds good! :D

Bookwatcher OH OH OH OH
this books is sooooooooooooooooooo (infinite "O")
i can't believe you two didn't read it yet!
BAD GIRLS!
No hot shirtless boys for you!

see see see??? Both hiding their goodness

MsMiz (Tina) I just finished this for the GB...read it!!

Alyosha Nikyta wrote: "Kk, sounds good! :D"

So, next week, right? ;) And I will kill gr dead if it doesn't work then. asdköksadiew

KYAAAAA JENSEN!!! Take him away before I bribe Jared to do unspeakable things to him..... *nosebleed*

Bookwatcher YEAH Sam and Dean!
To Sam and Dean naked pictures you two must read this book!

asdköksadiew

wowwwwwwwwwwwwww
OMG this is the weirdest word I ever read!

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* ROFL. What does that word even mean, Aly?! It sounds kind of cool :P

*dreamy sigh* I love those boys.

And, yup, next week for sure. How about Monday?

Alyosha Bookwatcher wrote: "YEAH Sam and Dean!
To Sam and Dean naked pictures you two must read this book!"

I haven't the foggiest idea. I bet it's fish talk.

Monday sounds perfect, I'll have time to finish Dynasty of Ghosts by then :} I have only read 15% but I'm absolutely in love with it. But it's so epic I have to take a break every now and then lol.

Bookwatcher wrote: "YEAH Sam and Dean!
To Sam and Dean naked pictures you two must read this book!"

See Cam, we are good girls! You can give us pictures of naked hotties! Better yet if they are of J2 fufufufufu

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Yeah, we are very good girls and I think we deserve a reward of some naked J2 boys ^_^

I loved Dynasty. It's so long but it's just so good. I read it in one weekend. Of course, I also read it in one weekend because it was freezing up my kindle with how big the size was. Lol

Alyosha lmao Niky you rock! I'm only at 50% now. And I'm mad at Ashe for being a slut. How dare he have sex with that bitchy little lord-boi. It's true that Illyan isn't giving him any but... lol

I'm loving it. But I don't like any of the nobles yet

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. I didn't like any of the nobles either and it took me forever to like Ashe. I don't think I liked him until the end but I loved Illya and all his ghost seeing ways :P

Alyosha Nikyta wrote: "Lol. I didn't like any of the nobles either and it took me forever to like Ashe. I don't think I liked him until the end but I loved Illya and all his ghost seeing ways :P"

Fufufu, well I mostly like Ashe, he is a pretty good guy for a prince. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed Ashe or anyone else hasn't raped Illyan after that first time *sigh* well, he is a sweet little ranger so it's good I guess. And raaah I'm being a bad person but I want some despair please!

Alyosha That is so not what I meant. I want to kill Davad. I mean, as in, actually kill. After I have tortured him.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* ROFL. You're such a violent lady :P

Yeah, Davad definitely deserves to get strung to a horse and dragged across a rocky mountain or something... then maybe stoned to death ^_^

Alyosha Yes! That's they way!

so, Niky, are we going to read this now or what? ;)

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. You can start it now, yes. I won't be able to read it, though, until tonight, I think :-(

Alyosha Well, since our time-zones are so different it's no wonder ;) Okay, I'll start it soonish and spoiler everything mwahahahahahah.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. You evil, evil, woman ;-P

Alyosha Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated *g*

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. Okay. I'm going to start now. You ready? Or did you already start?

Alyosha nope lol

Alyosha but I'm ready :)

Bookwatcher J2?
what is it Aly?

Alyosha Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki :) So sweetheart, now that Niky and I are reading it, you could provide us with some preeettyyyy pictures to enhance our reading experience

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Yes! Pretty pretty pictures, please?!

Alyosha Hey Niky I'm at 30%.. You? :)

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* I'm about 22%. Had to take a break and catch up on all my GR notifications lol

Alyosha rofl, you are such a good girl!

I'm liking it so far... seems like there will be some development on the romance department now ;}

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Yup, totally agree. I'm at 51% Chapter 15 so we can start again :-)

Alyosha Yay! Continuing now :}

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Okay, cool. Sorry it took me so long lol

Alyosha lmao no problem at all! I've been watching the City Hall lol. Good way to turn brain off and relax ;)

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. Gotta love those mindless shows :P