Paige's Reviews > Rebecca

Jan 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: mysteries, brit-lit, book-group
Read in January, 2011

Good old-fashioned mystery in the Wilkie Collins tradition. It actually was in some ways very oddly like The Lady in White, so if you liked this one, or if you're the Jane Eyre type, I highly recommend it. It's kind of a mixture of the the two.

The writing is pleasantly high-quality (except for that bizarre opening passage detailing her dream, which could win a Bulwer-Lytton any day), there are some delicious secrets to find out, it has a really good pace to it, and some moments of very well-orchestrated drama.

But it's a three-star book for me because this "heroine" is a seriously spineless wimp. And I was annoyed at the lack of anything resembling a back story for her. If Maxim's past is the whole book, it seems like hers might explain all of the hemming-hawing-being-frightened-beyond-words-of-the-butler-ishness.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

Kate I always enjoy your book reviews. It's been years since I read Rebecca, but I remember enjoying the movie more than the book.

Another book by du Maurier that I enjoyed is The House on the Strand. If you enjoy her writing style, this would be one to try. It's also been years since I read this book, but I remember being so intrigued by it. It's quite unique.

Rebekah Excellent points! The heroine really does deserve a better backstory, and I have to skip those first chapters every time.