Ken-ichi's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: snoot, bay-area, nyc
Read from February 26 to March 04, 2011 — I own a copy

I’m slowly, slowly realizing that the novels I like leave me feeling a) happy, b) sad, and c) confused, and the ones I don’t simply evoke boredom or disappointment. A Visit from the Goon Squad landed solidly in the happy-sad-confused camp. Quick summary: great characters, fragmented pseudo-narrative, much to say about time and the depredations thereof, very interesting incorporation of social networking concepts into narrative structure and the changing nature of memory. Read it. I am talking to you.

(view spoiler)
13 likes · Likeflag

02/27/2011 page 57
03/01/2011 page 113
39.0% "Finding it a bit hard to read this in short stretches. I keep forgetting all the little ways everyone's lives intertwine."
03/04/2011 page 196
68.0% ""add a graphic and increase your traffic!" The future will be hilarious!"
03/04/2011 page 259
90.0% "DM! AP! Love. This is why I'm still awake."

Louise Can't wait for your review!

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Matteis All family in Japan ok, I hope. Thinking of you and your family.

Ken-ichi The immediate family are all in the US at the moment, still waiting to hear from cousins and uncles (through Dad). I believe most of them are still in the Osaka area, though, which wasn't hit anything like Sendai.

Otis Chandler Good to hear.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane Matteis ditto

message 6: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye Not sure why this cropped up now in my inbox-well Ian liked it, so I read your review just now and need to tell you how much I like your criteria, although there is another range of emotions that could be placed in either camp, that's books that make you want to kick in walls.

I had decided to give VthGS a miss, did not get caught up in the hype, in fact I thought it went on overlong, and was not particularly inspired or motivated by any of the reviews. Your review has put it on my portable list.
Thanks Ken-Ichi

Ken-ichi Cool! The power of goodreads. For what it's worth, my mom thought it was lame, so there's definitely a range of responses.

message 8: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye ah, lame, I had heard that
and I am probably closer in experience to your mom!