Stacy's Reviews > Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith

Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: spiritual-oriented
Read from January 13 to 21, 2011

I read an article in Sunset magazine by Ann LaMott that peaked my curiosity. This was my first time reading one of her books and she is certainly a strong personality to reckon with. While sometimes a joy to read, I would not want to meet or live around her in real life.

One good thing about Ann Lamott is that she is brutally honest, and you have to respect that, especially when she acknowledges that she is a contradictory, often crazy and extreme mess of a person. Year of drugs, alcohol, and (I would argue) living in the San Francisco Bay area since the 70's have molded her into an interesting walking contradiction - a "Progressive Christian", and person who seeks God's kindness, understanding and love but often struggles to give these things to the people around her.

Another good thing about Lamott is that she makes you think about why you believe what you do and why. I'll be honest, sometimes she pissed me off, other times she personally offended me. I think she really needs to turn off CNN and she would be a lot happier person. While I don't agree with some of her most aggressive stances, I think she's a talented writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grace (Eventually).