Mark Vandervinne's Reviews > The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers

The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler

Feb 15, 12

Read from January 13, 2011 to February 15, 2012

My father was an English Lit and Humanities teacher. He gave me a deep appreciation for the story. I've loved Joseph Campbell ever since I saw him on PBS with Bill Moyer. I went back and have read several of his books. Unfortunately, he seems to have written them for academia, instead for the layman, and sometimes I feel they are difficult to get through. Also, he doesn't always help tell how to use the myths and folklore.

This book is a godsend for me. While I have read other books dealing with the theories of JC, this takes them and shows how to apply them to a story. While I am still reading it, it has already given me insight into looking at stories and movies in a different light. Being a Fantasy and Sci-Fi fan, I've understood the archetypes for a long time. For instance, Ben Kenobi (Obi Wan) and Gandalf are really the same archetypal figure of Mentor and are plain to see to me. But I never really thought of looking beyond that and seeing the same Mentor figure in other movies, like Robin Williams' character in Dead Poet's Society, M in the Bond films and books, or Father in Hellboy. Also, it has helped me to understand that the role can also be used as a mask, where a different archetype can pick it up and wear it as need be for the story, such as Julia Roberts girlfriend-prostitute in Pretty Woman, where she isn't always a Mentor, but she can be at times when the hero (boy or girl) needs them to be.

So far an incredible book and one I'm sure I will use if ever I decide to pan out the story ideas in my head. If not, then I at least will look at film and stories differently and possibly even my own life. (Yeah, that good so far.)

Finished it and it was everything I had hoped. An incredible book. If you are interested in the "behind the scenes" of story telling, this is a must read. Can't wait to read his other book.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Writer's Journey.