Nicole M's Reviews > One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies

bookshelves: finished-irp-books
Read in January, 2011

One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies
by Sonya Sones
Ruby Milliken, a fifteen year old girl, was sent to Los Angeles, California to live with her movie star father leaving her best friend Lizzie and boy friend Ray in Boston. Ruby’s mother died early that year so her Aunt Duffy has been taking care of her. Whip, Ruby’s father, finally gets the chance to be with his daughter who her mother has kept him from. Ruby has so much anger towards Whip because he missed 15 years of her life and is reluctant to accept him as her father. Anything Whip says to her she gives rude remarks back. He does a lot for her but she doesn’t appreciate it. Ruby discovers how much Whip loves her and how sorry he is that he missed a lot of her life towards the end of the book. “This time it just makes me feel like reaching over and taking hold of my father’s nice, warm, dry hand” which shows that Ruby’s view of Whip has changed and she is finally treating him as a loving father (Sones 258).
One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies is a great book about a girl who has so much anger built up towards her father that finally, over time, has discovered how much Whip really loves her and that he never wanted to leave her. This book is very well written and is a easy read. The writing makes it feel like Ruby is a real person dealing with these problems. It is very detailed and descriptive and makes it easier to picture what is really going on. “The fronds are fringed with fiery red, bobbing and dancing in the soft breeze, swishing and swaying like headless hula girls” is an example of the details that makes it easier to understand and gives the reader the ability to picture what is happening better. This was a very good book and I think I would read it again!
Rating this book 1-5, I would give it a 5 because I really enjoyed reading it. It was very easy to read and well written. It is a great story and when you get into the book, it is hard to stop reading it. It is a great book for any teenager to read but I do not suggest it for younger kids due to some of the content. One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies is one of the best books I have read because of the large amount of detail and description which makes reading it even better.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Fenn (new)

Ms. Fenn Great Review Nicole, I love the quote/internal citation! Lovely! 100