Leigh's Reviews > Let's Kill Uncle

Let's Kill Uncle by Rohan O'Grady

Apr 03, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, mystery
Read in April, 2011

I won this in a first read giveaway when I was doing a lot of reading. But by the time it got here life was busy again and it took me awhile to get around to it. I'm glad it finally came off the shelf. This book is a re-issue of a book written in the 60's and set post-WWII, so it should be no surprise that its an old-fashioned kind of story. I mean that in a good way.

Let's Kill Uncle has a pleasant mix of fantastic elements, realism and suspense. The darkest elements of the story are hinted at more than spelled out and certainly not played out in graphic detail. It also has some humorous bits as well as some beautiful descriptions of the island life. I really wish I could have breakfast at the goat lady's house. I also really appreciated that the children, while wily and intelligent are written as children rather than miniature adults or simpletons.

I'm seeing this sometimes listed as young adult, and I'm not entirely sure of that. This was not a book that I was pre-reading for my kids. There was nothing inappropriate in it for an older teen--ie. no sex or graphic violence. Rather, I felt it was written with an adult intellect and sense of humor in mind. I just don't think I would have been as enchanted by it at 16 as I was at 38 though no harm would have come from my having read it then. (Come to think of it, I read a lot of Stephen King around that age and this was certainly much better.) It is kind of like Agatha Christie tried to write Anne of GreenGables. Its charming, scary and written in shades of gray.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Kill Uncle.