Bronwyn Rykiert's Reviews > Flirting With Pete

Flirting With Pete by Barbara Delinsky

Jan 13, 11

bookshelves: family, friends, romance
Read in September, 2008

I found this book hard to get into but I persevered and it was well worth it. I have a bad habit of reading the back page of any book that I read and I knew it had a happy ending, this probably why I kept going.

Casey Ellis is a young woman whose father, a renowned psychiatrist, never acknowledged her (Casey was the result of a one-night stand). Until his death, that is. Casey's taken off balance when he leaves her a very valuable piece of property and is reluctant to accept anything that was a part of him. Casey is a likable, hard working character whose only living family is her mom who lies in a coma.

When Casey finds a journal among her dad's things with a note that says something along the lines of "must help her - she's kin" she begins to read "Flirting With Pete" hoping that maybe she's found a relative. The journal details the life of an abused young woman named Jenny who Casey is desperate to locate.

The remainder of the book alternates between Jenny's painful story of abuse and Casey's search for the real Jenny and her growing relationship with her gardener who isn't exactly who he appears to be.

The title to this one is deceiving. This is not a light and flirty book but a slower paced, character based drama with a little mystery. It was an involving read with characters who are sympathetically drawn.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flirting With Pete.