steph's Reviews > Not That Kind of Girl

Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian

Jan 12, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, the-good-stuff
Read in January, 2011

This is one book that I definitely have to thank the book blogging community for. As much as I try to not judge a book by its cover, it is something I do, and this is not a book I would have picked up on my own.

Natalie Sterling is a girl with plans. Cutting out the excess of high school involving boys, parties, and other aspects of a social life, she is determined to work hard, become student council president, and get into a school of her choice. She lives by certain standards and she has clear definitions of what is right and wrong.

On the other hand, we have Spencer who is spontaneous and wild. Although she is young, she embraces and flaunts her sexuality; she sees it as a powerful thing and nothing to be ashamed of. She falls under Natalie's category of "wrong", but Natalie takes her under her wing anyway, hoping to bring Spencer to her senses.

Both girls go through quite a bit of growth in the story, learning that there's a middle ground for them. Natalie, while still maintaining her plans for the future, allows herself to unwind a bit, accepting that people, and things, aren't simply black and white. Spencer does see the consequence of one of her actions, but she doesn't let it define her, and instead takes control of the situation in her own way.

I admire Vivian for not lecturing in her writing. It would be so easy to imply that "Natalie is a prude" or "Spencer is a slut" to her readers, but I felt that both characters were treated with respect and without Vivian trying to sneak in some message about morals. Her characters felt real and I look forward to checking out her other books. She definitely has a new fan in me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not That Kind of Girl.