Marija's Reviews > Ellington Was Not a Street

Ellington Was Not a Street by Ntozake Shange

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: african-american-rll528

This was a very well illustrated book and it offered a glimpse at some of the very important people that pushed the barriers of black society in different ways. I liked that it was written from the perspective of a young child, and you can tell through the illustrative details that the book was authentic. The characters portrayed were all crucial to the equal rights movement and their passion was well portayed through the illustrations. There was one illustration that was particularly interesting and it was the one where everyone mentioned in the book took a "family photo." I found this to be a very powerful statement because it shows that it really takes several different types of people to make change and take a stand against society.
What I didn't find appealing about this book was that the poem used didn't quite capture the emotion of the illustrations. At the end of the book you can read the whole poem, as opposed to how the author chose to break it up in the book. I thought reading the whole poem (without breaks) was much more meaningful and gave the poem a particular poetic beauty. Although I thought the poem really captured the idea of the black experience, this is just one of those circumstances where I think some poems should not be illustrated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ellington Was Not a Street.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nancy Although I liked the book you make a good point. Reading the poem without the breaks of the pages and pictures does give it a stronger meaning.