Cornmaven's Reviews > Annexed

Annexed by Sharon Dogar

Jan 12, 2011

bookshelves: high-school, historical-fiction-high-school
Read in January, 2011

This makes for a wonderful pair to the Diary of Anne Frank, with its weaving of elements of that diary into Peter Van Pels' story. What I really liked was the contrast between life hidden in the annex, and life, if you can call it that, in the concentration camp. Very well done in that regard. I also felt it raised an excellent discussion question for teens - the paradox of being persecuted for being Jewish and the insistence on being special, which can cause all kinds of resentment in society. It's an age old question, and a good one. Could spark looking into Jewish history. The second half in the camp was so different, even at a pacing level, than the first half in hiding. And I think Dogar did very well in portraying what it would have been life; she did not sugar coat it, for sure.

Most poignant to me was Peter's wondering if he could ever find words to describe what Jews were experiencing in the transport to the camp, and in the camp itself, with his 'hearing' Anne say that basically you MUST find the words to tell ALL of it, because it was so important to tell it all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annexed.