Ed's Reviews > Tricks

Tricks by Ed McBain

Jan 16, 2011

Read from January 12 to 16, 2011

Perhaps not my favorite of the 87th Precinct titles, but still a solid enough read for entertainment if you're in the mood for reading a police procedural. The plot involves a magician husband's disappearance and a gang of little stick up thieves.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tricks.

01/12/2011 page 46
01/13/2011 page 111
43.0% 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I have always enjoyed Ed McBain/Evan Hunter books. Hope you like this one. This is one that I haven't read.

Tony Gleeson Everybody's different but this is one of my absolute favorite 87th Precinct titles, if not THE favorite (and I am now zeroing in on reading the last two of the 55 that I haven't already read)! I love that the three sub-plots all revolve around different interpretations of the term "tricks." Hunter/McBain pulled this trick a few times on his later books and I always love his wit in doing so.

message 3: by Marti (new)

Marti I am a big Ed McBain fan. I don't think that I have read this one. One reason for going to used book sales now that I have a nook, is to find ones I don't yet have. Marti Abell

message 4: by Jodi (new)

Jodi This brings back good memories. I was an avid reader of McBain about 20 years ago. It may be time to revisit the 87th!

message 5: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Tony wrote: "Everybody's different but this is one of my absolute favorite 87th Precinct titles, if not THE favorite (and I am now zeroing in on reading the last two of the 55 that I haven't already read)! I l..."

I like your comment on the 3 sub-plots. I'm appreciating this title more now that I think about it. I really liked the first titles (Cop Hater) in the series.

Tony Gleeson It's very interesting to me to follow how Hunter evolved as he wrote those books. The earliest ones, written not all that long after his breakthrough "Blackboard Jungle," have a very different flavor from the ones to follow, and he constantly played with tone, voice, and approach. Did you know that in the original draft of "Cop Hater," he killed off Steve Carella at the end? Good idea to change that, considering Carella became the "star" of the subsequent series and one of the big appeals IMO.

message 7: by Marti (new)

Marti I hadn't realized that, Tony, I only know that I really enjoy his recurring characters. Each time that I find a book I haven't read, it is like coming back to the same dear neighborhood. I'm glad that he left us a lot of them. Marti
Ed McBain-----

Tony Gleeson I might revise my earlier opinion of "Tricks" being my absolute favorite in light of the brilliantly intriguing "King's Ransom," which is a little morality play involving the struggles for the conscience and soul of both a wealthy man and an unsure kidnap participant. And maybe one or two others....

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I agree with Jodi. I think that it might be time to revisit the 87th!

message 10: by Tony (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tony Gleeson Splendid idea. You could do a heck of a lot worse! ;-)

message 11: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed I've got Money, Money, Money in my reading queue.

message 12: by Tony (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tony Gleeson If you feel REALLY ambitious, you might try picking up the series somewhere in the middle, where the books are readily available and the characters are fully fleshed out-- say, around "Ghosts"-- and start reading them in order from there through the end, "Fiddlers."

Ed: "Money (x3)" is an interesting one, it kind of reads like a Donald Westlake novel, with exotic characters and a madcap adventurous storyline......

message 13: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I forsee libraries all over the country with many requests for Ed McBain books!

message 14: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh I remember this one was really good. My favorite was ICE and HEAT with the Bert Kling backstory sort of continuing. The 70's ones were really cool too. Vivid snapshots of times/styles.

message 15: by Tony (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tony Gleeson Oh, the continuing story of Bert Kling's heartbreak. His romances were always star-crossed, the gals died, did him wrong or left him in the lurch, and it was particularly ironic because he was always depicted as a manly yet boyish attractive sort that the girls loved. "Heat" was horribly traumatic, I really felt for the guy (but you could see it coming in the books before that, huh?). Again, wonderful applications by Hunter of different concepts of heat and ice in those books.