Sophie's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Jan 12, 11

bookshelves: reviewed, young-adult, fiction

** spoiler alert ** This is one of the most awful books I’ve ever read.

The characters are flat and one-dimensional, particularly the main love interest, Daniel. There is genuine chemistry between the protagonist, Luce, and the ‘bad’ love interest, Cam, but this is tossed aside in favour of the most boring relationship I’ve ever had the misfortune to read. Daniel and Luce’s relationship is based on a love that has, somehow, survived the centuries, with Luce appearing to her ‘beloved’ every seventeen or so years. That Daniel and Cam are fallen angels can be guessed from reading the title and the back-cover description – but it is constantly hammered into the reader’s head, courtesy of the idiotic Luce, who later furiously defends her intelligence in the most unintentionally comic scene I have ever read.

The high-point of this novel was when Luce was in danger—and I found myself rooting for the opposite party. That isn’t supposed to happen: the reader is supposed to love the protagonist, but all I wanted was for the antagonist (who was revealed as such only a page or so before; for the majority of the novel, there is no antagonist whatsoever) to just put an end to my misery and throttle Luce.

Do yourself a favour, and discard this trashy excuse of a novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.