Cindy's Reviews > The Monk

The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis

Feb 19, 11

bookshelves: 1001-books, book-club, horror, fiction, ebook, own, fantasy, gothic, 2011-best-reads
Read from February 01 to 05, 2011

O Father Ambrosio, stop Monking around!

This book was quite a surprise. Yes, there are all sorts of hypocritical Monk-y debauchery and lustful, euphemism-filled scenes. But there are also two romantic subplots that filled with action, swashbuckling heroes, damsels in distress and deceit. All three stories end up intertwining in unexpected ways.

Did more people in olden times have prosopagnosia, or what? Why was it so damn easy to disguise yourself?

I had all sorts of naughty fun reading even more filthiness between the lines of the book. I can see why it got Lewis renounced as MP. Naughty, naughty man. But thanks for giving us such a fun book!

---------
I just wanted to update my review with a list of the cool words I found in The Monk:

* probity: integrity and uprightness; honesty.
* opprobrium: the disgrace or the reproach incurred by conduct considered outrageously shameful; infamy.
* Mountebank: a person who sells quack medicines, as from a platform in public places, attracting and influencing an audience by tricks, storytelling, etc.
* perfidy: deliberate breach of faith or trust; faithlessness; treachery: perfidy that goes unpunished.
* iniquity: gross injustice or wickedness.
* prolix: extended to great, unnecessary, or tedious length; long and wordy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monk.

02/02/2011 page 167
40.0% 2 comments
02/03/2011 page 241
58.0% "The sex euphemisms are funny and astounding. Old-school filthiness."
02/04/2011 page 391
94.0% "Gotta finish this today!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alex Totally, dude.

Cindy Yeah?

message 3: by Alex (last edited Jan 14, 2011 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Yeah, what's not to like? It's apparently filthy. I'm hoping to get to it sometime in the next couple months. I'll letcha know in case you're bored that week.

Cindy Filthy and gorgeous?

The 1001 books group that Charity moderates is reading this for the next month.

message 5: by Alex (last edited Jan 14, 2011 09:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex I am notoriously down on lists of books that I haven't invented myself, but her timing is about right and Charity's pretty cool.

message 6: by Jayme (new) - added it

Jayme This is like 30 down on my list. That means I will actually be reading it this year if all goes according to plan.

Cindy It's really fun! Lots of action and excitement and stories within stories.

☯Bettie☯ I gave it a big fat 5* too!
:O)

message 9: by Cait (new) - added it

Cait I just learned a new word. :oD

Cindy Bettie wrote: "I gave it a big fat 5* too!
:O)"

Yessss! Great minds think alike!

Cait wrote: "I just learned a new word. :oD"

Oooh, you gave me an idea, Cait. I was highlighting all the fun words I didn't know as I went. I should add some of them to my review.

message 11: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Just finished it! It was totally awesome!

Cindy Alex wrote: "Just finished it! It was totally awesome!"

YES! I'm glad you liked it as much as I did. The last chapter was a real whiplash.

message 13: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Totally! Several of those plot twists weren't exactly surprising - (view spoiler)

Cindy Alex wrote: "Totally! Several of those plot twists weren't exactly surprising - [spoilers removed]"

I somehow totally missed your comment, Alex, Yup, (view spoiler)

message 15: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex (view spoiler)

Cindy Hah! The good and dirty parts were the best. As well as the supernatural bits.