Petula Darling's Reviews > The Immortal Highlander

The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

Jan 13, 11

bookshelves: series, hes-a-magic-man
Read in January, 2011

1/12/11 I'm a little shocked by all the good reviews. I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and at this point it's ranking right down there with some of the worst books I've ever read.

As a reader, I have to care at least a little bit about the characters, and I need to be able to understand their appeal if I'm going to think a particular scene is hot. Perhaps I'm unusual, but if some 6'5" twohundredsomething pound stranger smashed in my door, came in and grabbed me, and then started thrusting against my various body parts, I don't think the fact that he was unusually attractive would make much of a difference to me. Unlike the (idiotic and insipid) protagonist of The Immortal Highlander, lust, for me, would probably take a back seat to blind terror.

I'm going to stick with it because of the crossover with the (awesome) Fever series, but so far it's rough going.

1/13/11 The book improved as it went on, but it never became particularly good. I would only recommend it for Fever fans who want a little backstory on Darroc, the Seelie Queen, the MacKeltars and the walls between the realms (and even then I'd recommend skimming it to get to the relevant parts).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Highlander.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` people who love this series, and grown to know adam from first book will give 4-5 stars.

Petula Darling I've read the whole series starting from the first book, but I definitely wouldn't say that I loved it (unlike the Fever series which had me counting down the days before each upcoming book release). I think you must feel a stronger connection with the character of Adam than I did.