Sally's Reviews > The Master Mariner: Book 1: Running Proud

The Master Mariner by Nicholas Monsarrat

Feb 07, 11

Read in February, 2011

I first read this book as a young adult. My father loved all things nautical, and he read this and pronounced it "great". My whole family read it and loved it as well. As my sister said, "My favorite part was the Pirate, it was the best. But then it was the worst, too." I agreed.

Stupidly, I "loaned" it to a friend, who never returned it, even though I asked for it. It is out of print, and I couldn't really ever find a copy. My daughter, however, heard me, and found it, and gave it to me for Christmas.

Although reading it then had much more emotional impact than when I read it just a week ago. Perhaps I knew the plot, and wasn't shocked or stunned by the actions of the characters. I thought I would feel the same emotional intensity, but no. And an even bigger disappointment came when my sailor husband, who has scores of sailing books, kind of gave it a "meh". Ah well, it was a great book, and I am still happy to have it back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master Mariner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Palgrave One of my all time favorites - loaned it from a library - then could not find it for years then found it again in a wonderful second hand bookshop in Chiangmai so bought it for my son who is a sailor