Alain Gomez's Reviews > Dune

Dune by Frank Herbert

Jan 12, 2011

liked it
Read from January 12 to September 15, 2011

The first 3/4 of this book I would give four stars. It wasn't until that last 1/4 that things started to go a little downhill for me.

I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed this book. I avoided it for years thinking it was going to be a dry read. It's not. It's really quite engaging and the universe Herbert creates for you is nothing short of impressive. Often times it's the little things he mentions that make his fictional world so real.

My biggest issue actually lies with the evolution of our main character, Paul Atreides. In the beginning, any advantage he has over someone is due to years of intense training in weapons and subterfuge. In the middle, he accepts the role of hero to the Freman as a way to create unity amount a scattered people. By the end, he turns into a pretentious jerk.

Basically Paul hits the spice pretty hard and it gives him the power to see glimpses of the future. He's also good at hand to hand combat. Somehow these two things are enough to make men twice his age grovel at his feet like he's a god. What made this obnoxious was that he assumes the role. He's 17/18 years old by the end of this book and somehow he feels he's above everyone, including his mother.

I get that the spice and the environment changed and matured him. But, in the end, he's still just a teenage punk in desperate need of a reality check.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.

K.A. Jordan I think you called it right - Paul went on his own power trip and started to 'believe his own press releases' of godhood.

Alain Gomez No one is above their mother. No one.