Jaclyn's Reviews > Wicked Appetite

Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich

Jan 12, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: author_janet-evanovich, chick-lit, fantasy-science-fiction, series
Recommended for: No One
Read from January 12 to 15, 2011

I could barely finish this book it was so bad. I've never wanted to give negative stars before, but for this one I really wish I could. I really like Janet Evanovich, but I must admit I was a bit skeptical when I saw she was trying to make a foray into the paranormal romance genre. However, I plowed on like a loyal reader, beginning with optimism, and hanging on to the bitter end in the hopes the story would some how redeem itself. Stick with what you know Janet, please! This book was terrible.

For the JE loyalists who have read every Stephanie Plum book in the series, this book follows her formula in that series almost exactly. Only it's worse because instead of bad guys who've jumped bail, they're hunting for magic stones, being followed by a mostly bad Unmentionable with "principles", and her pet is a cat with one eye instead of a hamster. Oh, and instead of the dog who eats everything and farts, Diesel has a monkey who eats everything and belches. Clara is Connie, Glo is Lula (and she thinks she can cast magic spells that surprise, surprise, go wrong everytime), and Diesel is a cross between Morelli and Ranger. So far there's no love triangle, but rest assured, this is a series, I'm sure the love triangle is yet to come.

I personally do not recommend this book to anyone, especially those who currently love Janet and all her books. This one was disappointing and made me feel like JE should just accept that she's peaked, be happy with the money train that is Stephanie Plum, and stop being greedy. I can't believe there are going to be more of these books. I for one will not be reading them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Appetite.