Leigh's Reviews > The Class

The Class by Erich Segal

F_50x66
Jan 30, 08

I got this book in a mixed lot that I bought from eBay. I really did not think I would like it, as the cover didn't really pique my interest, nor did the book summary.

I picked it up out of boredom and one day and was pleasantly surprised when the book gripped me so tightly that I read it all in one day (500+ pages).

The Class explores the lives of a group of class members from Harvard's class of 1958. We read about the new freshmen arriving on campus, roommate/dormitory assignments, cliques, classwork, and finally, graduation. Segal then follows five major characters throughout their lives and explores the themes of adultery, betrayal, suicide, and other interesting topics.

My favorite thing about Segal's writing is that he does not focus on over-the-top plots or rely on unbelievable twists to tell his stories. Instead, readers are captivated because they can identify with the characters going through divorces and trying to start careers far better than they can identify with characters who have endless wealth and no real problems at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Class.