Lesley's Reviews > The Shadow Thieves

The Shadow Thieves by Anne Ursu

Jan 12, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, juvenile, myth

There's a lot to enjoy in this book: sympathetic characters, good humor, and a rollicking good adventure--once it gets started. The only drawback is that it takes quite a while to get started. At least half the book is build-up to the actual action. Some Percy Jackson fans may not make it that far. Those looking for more Greek myths brought to life in the modern world will also be disappointed. They'll get some of the elements of the Greek afterlife and there's an interesting theme of the gods not caring about mortals so the descendants of Prometheus have to step in. But in many ways, I felt like the Underworld could have been any scary land, the bad guy is a made-up character, and I don't remember Greek myths having "demons" with the power to do "spells." But these quibbles are only relevant if you're looking for Percy Jackson readalikes, like I am. If you're looking for a good story, with a creative reinterpretation of familiar archetypes like Charon the boatman, and don't mind entertaining yourself with amusing writing until things start happening, here you go!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Thieves.