Jason's Reviews > The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates

The Other Wes Moore by Wes  Moore

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction
Read in January, 2011

This thought provoking book, about two young men from similar backgrounds ultimately branching in two totally different directions, is a stark reminder that the shirking of personal accountability has historically been the downfall of many passionate men and women destined for greatness, yet shackled to self destruction. Moore writes with a delicate balance that makes the story human without distorting the facts with romanticism. By paralleling the lives of Moore, (the author), and Moore, (the prisoner serving a life sentence), the reader is able to come to their own conclusions as to why each life took the turns it did.

The beauty of this book is that it isn't a call to arms against some external unfairness, some ominous portrayal of The Man, but rather a reminder that anything is possible if you do not succumb to the environment you are in, anything achievable if you believe in the person you were meant to be, and anything surrmountable in the face of adversity. It's time for each of us to take accountablity for our shortcomings, get back up on that horse, and take back the reins of our dignity.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work, the more of it I have.-
Thomas Jefferson

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Wes Moore.