Randi S's Reviews > Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity

Run Like a Mother by Dimity McDowell

Jan 13, 11

Read in April, 2010

After reading "Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving - and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity" by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea, I feel like I know them personally. It's easy to understand why. They share their "soles" in this book (pardon the pun).
From Sarah just laying it out there from the get-go about her competitive streak (which in no way diminishes her likability but, more likely, enhances it as so many of us *cough* me *cough* have that same streak) to Dimity's almost nonchalance about PRs (personal records) and speed (although I guarantee her 6'4" frame runs much faster than my 5'3 3/4" frame).
As a very new runner, I more than appreciated the tips from the authors and moms they interviewed for this book. I now know why I need a running skirt with spankies (Sarah's claim to modesty whilst peeing on the side of the road) and why my son's potty would be a good thing for me to pack in the van on race day (no porta potty for this mom!). My Christmas wish list will include things like a Garmin Forerunner for tracking all of my running data and a hydration system to wear around my waist (despite Dimity's warning of its nerdiness, I want one).
Dimity's sharing about the close-knit relationship with her running partner, Katherine, had me jonesing for a friend to pound the pavement with. Sarah's tip on how to keep the hubby happy with a different kind of cross-training had me smiling (because of it's sheer truth).
The only time I disagreed with either author in this book was in the post-pregnancy chapter (3-6 month range). Dimity wrote tat you will possibly be "shimmying into your pre-preggo jeans. You're like to have dropped at least 25 pounds by now." I may have wanted to cry a bit there because I (at 9 months post-pregnancy) am just now fitting into those pre-baby #2 jeans. But perhaps if I had been a runner prior to having one or both of my kids, that would be the case.
Sarah's marathon chapter got me really revved for my own M-day! The reasons listed resonated in my heart: proving my toughness, showing my kids what I can do, showing myself what I can do, losing weight, and on a lark (among others).
I know 26.2 miles is not for everyone (and it's not for me today...but soon enough), but whether you are a newbie like me or a veteran like Dimity and Sarah; whether you are running at Boston today or just around the block, this book is for you.
We women try to conquer so much and know it's such a delicate balance between work, kids, marriage. Too often "me" is forgotten. After reading this, I am more confident now that my Saturday long runs (and weekday long-for-me runs) are not only a necessity for my training but a necessity for my well-being.

BUY IT:
You can buy "Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving and not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity" on Indie Bound, Borders, Barnes & Noble, & Amazon.

CONNECT:
Dimity & Sarah blog at Run Like a Mother.
You can also find them on Facebook & Twitter (Dimity, Sarah).

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of the mentioned book to facilitate this review. All opinions are my own and 100% honest. Different people may have different experiences with product. Thank you to to Dimity, Sarah, and Andrews McMeel Publishing for this review opportunity!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Run Like a Mother.