Maya A's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: i-am-disappoint
Read from January 12 to 15, 2011

As you can see from the one star over there, I did not enjoy this book.

First, the point of view. This book is told in first person, narrated by Katniss herself. God knows why Suzanne Collins would do this. We get no inner reflections or personal observations which are fundamental in first-person writing, and I kept forgetting Katniss's name. (And had to flip back to the inside cover. Oh yeah. Katniss Everdeen.) Basically it's just Katniss saying "First this happened. And then this happened."

Yes, very nice Katniss, you can regurgitate the events going on around you.

Also, Katniss herself just pissed me off. She's got a bunch of contradictory personality traits going on... We see that she's caring and affectionate, with Prim and everything, but then she hates on the mayor's daughter--whose name I can't remember--for no apparent effing reason other than "She gets everything. She doesn't know what it's like to suffer."

Bitch, the girl gives you a freaking mockingjay pin. Have some humility.

Other than that, Katniss is just a potato. Really. She has all the dynamic personality of an admittedly skilled at archery potato.

The background characters, and there are quite a lot of them, have that annoying habit of blending into each other. None were particularly memorable, although Suzanne Collins made an effort to divide them into groups: Careers/non-Careers, good guys/murderous bastards, Peeta/Gale...

The plot was pretty simple, it was all first this happened, and then this happened. Until that famous ending, where there are not one, but TWO winners! Damn. My mind was blown.

I'm not going to put a spoiler alert on that because we all already know what happens.

(Oh yes, I forgot!)
Those werewolves at the end. WTF. That is all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.