Mariya's Reviews > Double Cross

Double Cross by Carolyn Crane

Sep 27, 13

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from October 01 to 03, 2011

I loved the first book in The Disillusionists Trilogy, Mind Games but I was really disappointed in  DOUBLE CROSS. I think this is the third book that is a sequel that I am disappointed with this month.

To be honest the plot/storyline was really dull and boring for my taste, where in Mind Games it was really exciting and I could not get enough. Big change there. I was really bored through the book a lot. The only good part of the book was Packard. I think I literally devoured all the Packard scenes!

Another thing I was annoyed with was our adored heroine, Justine. I really hate heroine's who don't learn from they're first experience. Justine didn't learn from her first relationship with Cubby in Mind Games and it was like a repeat with Otto in DOUBLE CROSS. Also, please don't me started about her decision making skills! I liked her in the first book, but she just greatly annoyed me this time around.

Onto the legendary cliffhanger. I think I was more pissed, not the way it ended or anything, but just pissed at all these characters, maybe I'm just pissed at Justine because the cliffhanger happened because of another of her dumb decisions. I think I was ranting the whole entire time while reading DOUBLE CROSS because of her poor decision making. So I liked the first book and didn't really fancy the second. It should be really interesting to see how I find the final book in The Disillusionists Trilogy, Head Rush.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Cross.

10/01/2011 page 89
10/02/2011 page 168
52.0% "Okaiexz...Seriously bad idea to take as much Nyquil as I did. Everything on my body is soooo tired and lazy."
show 4 hidden updates…

Samina ~ Escapism~ OMg you are finally reading it Mariya.I though you were going to wait until the last came out. I am so excited!

Mariya I'm doing a buddy read with Dija! Haha! Only two more months anyway! =DDDDD

Samina ~ Escapism~ True, this is one of my fav uf series.I hope you like it.

Regina Yay! Its about time!

Mariya LOL I know! I know! Haha!

Samina ~ Escapism~ yup, and you gotto love Packard.He is sooooo hot.

Dija Where are you right now??

Jamie Um, I love Packard, but I HATE Otto. Can. Not. Stand. Him. He's one of my most hated fictional characters.

Regina I loved Otto until (view spoiler)

MISS VAIN Oh so I loved Packard in the beginning.....hated Otto from the beginning as well. I agree with Jamie, he's one of my most hated fictional characters, probably the only character I hate more than him is President Snow from The Hunger Games.

Jamie I despised Otto from the beginning with his pretentious beret (remember that rant, Miss Vain?)...can't even stand to read about him. I hope he finally gets his due in Head Games.

MISS VAIN Oh Jamie, I do remember your rant about Otto as well as mine.:-) I've loved Packard ever since made the comment to Justine about not knowing anyone as unstable as her outside of a straight jacket, LOL such a charmer that Packard...;-) haha

Oh speaking of Otto in upcoming book #3 one can only hope...;) Right Jamie?

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "Oh Jamie, I do remember your rant about Otto as well as mine.:-) I've loved Packard ever since made the comment to Justine about not knowing anyone as unstable as her outside of a straight jacket, ..."

I hope very much :) Yes - I remember your dislike of Otto, also. And I do love Packard. I don't think we know everything about that high cap yet. Can't wait until Dec. 6.

MISS VAIN Just counting down the days.....,;-)

I'm so glad Mariya and Dija are reading this together right now.

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "Just counting down the days.....,;-)

I'm so glad Mariya and Dija are reading this together right now."

That's very cool. We should all read a book together at some point. Might be interesting, no?

MISS VAIN Yes we should! I know we have read new releases together in the past, but yes a book together does sound fun! I totally would.:-)

Mariya AHHHHH! Too many comments to home to. Haha! @Dija: I'm not that far yet. Stupid work is interferring! Haha! But I'll read more tonight!

And OMG! I hate Otto. The Otto and JUstine scenes are so BORING! Why does she even like him?! I don't get it. Please someone enlighten me! =D

Mariya @Miss VAIN and Jamie: Buddy reading sounds fun! Haha! =DDDDD

message 19: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija She likes him because she's brain-dead. Ugh, sorry, I'm just really hating Justine right now. :/

Mariya Haha! I hate her decision making!

message 21: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Same difference to me right now. I just really wish we didn't have to go through what happened with Cubby all over again with Otto, but Justine isn't one to learn from her mistakes. D:<

Mariya OMG. I know! This one part where she doesn't tell Otto about the dream and he finds out. I wonder are you DUMB?! I mean I'm a Packard fan and all, but Otto knows about what she can do and stuff and she can tell him everything and it just seems Cubby all over again like you said.

Bad thing about waiting to long to read this is I think I forgot a lot of the characters from the first book, so I had to think and remember who is this again? Haha! And stuff that happened as well. Haha!

MISS VAIN Sorry I've been MIA today, but yes lots of Justine's decisions involving Otto are utterly ridiculous! Hope you both are enjoying this!

Samina ~ Escapism~ gosh i despise stupid Otto n his idiotic berret. Justine does make dumb decisions but hey it keeps the story interesting n make us appreciate Packard more.
I rem that scene now M.V he really is a charmer.lol but i have to admitt I wasn't to keen on the 1st book n it took me nearly 5days to get interested but once I was it was fantastic.
Oh have I told you guys I like Packard.

message 25: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy this book as much as the previous one. Hope you like it better, Mariya!

Mariya The beginning was very slow to me, but it's picking up some. I hope I like it better than you, Dija.

MISS VAIN Oh Samina he sure is!

Mariya-I hope you like it better than Dija as well...

Dija-I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it :/. I hate when I urge someone to read a book and they don't enjoy it as much as I hoped. Better luck next time? Hehe

Mariya Thanks, Miss Vain. I think I'll try again tomorrow reading this. I'm trying to read it now and I don't know if I"m not liking/bored b/c I'm sick and it's hard to concentrate b/c of my throat and stuffy nose.

MISS VAIN Oh yeah if your sick :( and not in the mood just relax and I hope you get better soon...:-)

Mariya ARRGHHH! But, damn. I wanna read! Haha! I hope it goes away soon. It's taking away precious reading time. =DDDDDD

MISS VAIN Lol! Don't feel bad after football this morning, I slept the entire day, couldn't gather enough energy to write a couple reviews or even read that's how lazy tired I've been today!

message 32: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija @Miss V: I get that feeling often too, when I motivate someone to finally give a book a try and they don't end up liking it. But don't worry, it's not your fault AT ALL! It's all because of Justine. XD

message 33: by MISS VAIN (last edited Oct 03, 2011 03:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MISS VAIN Dija-Lol! Thank you for consoling me ;-) Yes Justine does have her many many flaws. But I promise fingers crossed that you will share my obsession, heartbreak Love for The Hunger Games so we can rekindle our "like" for similar books with that amazing read!:-)

Jamie Miss Vain- we'll have to pick a book to read together...

I do adore Packard and all his flaws. I actually like Packard more than Justine. I'm interested in seeing how the Sophia situation is resolved in book 3....

MISS VAIN Jamie-Yes, we can pick a book to read together (that would be fun) but it can't be right away because how else will I accomplish reading SJ before our Nov releases?! Lol. :-)

I like Packard more than Justine too! I know I must read the 2.5 anthology with Sophia. I have it downloaded already (Ive been saving the Jill Myles one for a rainy day, I just love her) and have forgotten to read the Dissilusionist one. Since you have read it, does it give us any insight into that situation??

message 36: by Dija (last edited Oct 03, 2011 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija @Miss V: I have a great feeling about THG, and I'm sure you're right. And we can have a good friendship even with opposite tastes, right? :D

@Jamie: Which Sophia situation?

MISS VAIN Dija-I was teasing about the friendship comment, of course we can. :-)
But I'm 100% positive you will be a fan of THG. Hey I went to the movies tonight and they already these awesome movie posters of The Hunger Games up with the Mockingjay pin in a ring of fire (after you start Hunger Games you will understand the whole picture). I was very ecstatic to see the poster already up!!!!!!!!!:-)

The Sophia thing that we were speaking of is the DoubleCross cliffhanger when Sophia (view spoiler)

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "Jamie-Yes, we can pick a book to read together (that would be fun) but it can't be right away because how else will I accomplish reading SJ before our Nov releases?! Lol. :-)

I like Packard more t..."

YES it does. I really like Carolyn Crane's addition to the Wild & Steamy Anthology because it's a story that has to do with the plot of the Disillusionists and I think it's something that will be carried into the third book.

I can definitely wait for a buddy read - I have al of books to read in November, too :)

Dija - Sophia is the one at the end of Double Cross that does the very bad thing. There's a short story about her in the Wild and Steamy Anthology.

Mariya @Dija: Unfortunately, I am not liking this book as much as I did the first one. I didn't expect that to happen. =(

message 40: by Dija (last edited Oct 03, 2011 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija @Mariya: I'm sad to hear that, but also sort of relieved that I'm not the only one. But I still hope you end up enjoying it!

@Jamie: Wild and Steamy? So it's about Sophia's love life?

@Miss V: I can't wait to join THG's huge fanbase. Then I'll be squealing over its movie posters and everything too, LOL.

Mariya @Dija: the ending just kinda pissed me off. Otto and Sophia can both go to hell. I think the only good thing about this book was Packard and that is the only reason I"m giving this book 3 stars.

MISS VAIN LOL Once Dija rated it 3 stars I expected you to feel the same way because you both have very similar interests in books. Better luck next time. ;-)

MISS VAIN Dija-I hope you will be a THG fangirl :)

Mariya LOL Again I wonder if we are twins. Haha! I hope I like the last book better. But I am laughing now b/c I loved the first book and I wonder what the hell just happened. I so did not expect not to really like this book. Woah!

MISS VAIN Haha! Quite possibly twins separated at birth!;-)

Mariya LOL

MISS VAIN Hey!! Mariya, Dija, Jamie-

I just thought of something...All three of you have recently been planning to read The Hunger Games, I was thinking you three could do a friends read, that would be so fun! I wish the first time I had a friend to read it with, much less discuss it with. I read it before GR and I would have died to have someone to chat about it with....:-))))) Just an idea. ;-)

message 48: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija @Mariya: I agree, Packard is the only saving grace this series has! Him and Shelby. :D And I agree almost verbatim with everything in your review! Especially how the ending was SO frustrating and irritating.

@Miss V: That's an excellent idea, but I'm already buddy reading it with another friend, starting tomorrow. So if Jamie and Mariya want to join us, they are more than welcome to, but it might be too short of a notice. Either way, Mariya and Jamie can go ahead and buddy read it whenever it suits them better, right?

message 49: by Mariya (last edited Oct 03, 2011 08:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariya I know! So frusterating! Well, at least it's read and done with and now I can go into better things! Hehehe! Let's hope we like the last book tons better!

Ooohhh! Hunger Games. I wonder, am I every gonna get to that book! Haha! Unfortuately I do not have the book on me, but be sure to tell me how it goes, Dija. Will be looking forward to your review and curious if it will beat out Divergent like everyone says it does. Hahaha! Though I can't even imagine a better Dystopian than Divergent! I mean Divergent has my love, Four!

message 50: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija There's a good chance I'll like the last book better if Justine cuts down on the drama. :P

But I've heard the dude in THG has won tons of readers' awards, so he might just beat Four. And yes, I can't wait to start Hunger Games! I hope I can marathon the entire series, from what I've heard about the cliffhangers, LOL.

« previous 1