Angela's Reviews > Another Pan

Another Pan by Daniel Nayeri

Jan 13, 2011

it was ok
Read from January 10 to 12, 2011

By not reading the first book in the series I know I was setting myself up to potentially be lost/confused. On the other hand, the jacket doesn't point out there are related books which I always interpret to mean a book is capable of standing alone.

So I don't think it was a lack of background knowledge that kept me from being fully immersed in this book. Nor lack of an intriguing premise - I love Egyptian mythology and Peter Pan is a classic story for a reason. Rather, I think the biggest problem is the writing in this book just felt stilted. The POV was handled oddly, like third person didn't come naturally, and there were weird breaks within the chapters. Normally some sort of line break indicates a change in time or location within the same chapter - here it was used randomly. Sometimes it denoted the usual location/time change, but others it was a change in perspective - and sometimes the change in perspective would happen naturally between paragraphs.

I also felt a lot of the characters were cartoonishly drawn. Simon Grin was a Scooby-Doo villain (I was waiting for him to curse Wendy and John as meddling kids). Even Wendy and John came off as easily manipulated and two dimensional. Probably the most intriguing character was Peter himself.

The nods to the Peter Pan story were well done. There's a Barrie auditorium, in the beginning John criticizes Peter for constantly checking out his shadow, and Peter is often hanging out around windows and using them as entrances and exits. There's also lots of talk about happy thoughts - even occasional interludes where we see a minor character's happiest thoughts.

But ultimately, this was a frustrating read. There was just enough intrigue with the myths and the quest that kept me turning the page, but I was always thinking ahead, hoping the book would finally end so I could move on to something else. While part of me is curious about what connections this had to the previous book, I don't want to have to wade through a similarly tedious book to get there, so I think this is my first and only encounter with the "Another" series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Pan.

01/12/2011 page 329
84.0% "I keep going because I'm a huge Egypt nut & some of the Peter Pan connections are witty, but I can't say I'm actually *enjoying* this one..."

Christa C Please please please read the first book!!!! I rated the first book five stars and gave this book a one... I hated this book and found it painful to read at times... Which really sucked because I loved the first one so much! I do totally agree with you about this one though... I was really glad when I finished it.