Tressa 's Reviews > The Plain Janes

The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci

Jan 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011, graphic-novel, teen
Read in January, 2011

A sweet but predictable story about a teen who experiences a tragedy and opts for a new identity when her parents pick her up and move her from the city to suburbia.

The blonde, popular Jane is almost killed when a bomb explodes on a sidewalk cafe, and she cuts her hair and dyes it black to change her image and mirror the dark feelings she has about the world. At her new school, she eschews the popular lunch table and decides to sit with three misfits, all named Jane (Jane, Jayne, and Polly Jane). They're barely speak to one another, and Jane makes it a point to wedge herself into the group and get them communicating.

She decides to start a club for the reject table called P.L.A.I.N.--People Loving Art in Neighborhoods, and they go around the city incognito making statements with art.

The hell of high school really doesn't make itself known too well in this book, and the rejects didn't really seem all that rejected to me. The book is filled with stereotypes and the plot is predictable. I never connected with any of the P.L.A.I.N. Janes, even though I was a Plain Jane all throughout school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plain Janes.