Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Michelle Hodkin's delivers a debut that is haunting, edgy, swoon worthly, sarcastic, intriguing and totally messes with your mind. In essence, it's fabulous! I can honestly say I've not read a more twisted, engaging story that left me mulling over it long after I finished.

With characters who are flawed, are in many ways relatable, and are written in an in-depth realistic way, it wasn't hard for me to become absorbed with them and their stories. Each character brought something different to Mara's story. Whether that was some sort of family stability, friendship, a normal family relationship, drama, haunting, love, romance, sarcasm and acceptance. What I admired the most about Michelle's characters is how imperfect they all are.

Mara herself is a complex character, layered character who's world is simply crazy. Well her world isn't, but after her accident that she remembers little about it, it's left her feeling like she's going mental or just crazy. It was intriguing for me to read about how normal she tries to be, while fighting what's going on in her mind. A perfect match to Mara's "peachy" side is Noah. I LOVED their sarcasm, chemistry and that underlining swoon worthy tension that builds as the story progressive between them. I think the best way to describe him is by saying I swear he and Jace are some how related.

Michelle's debut is best described as a blend of mystery, mixed with sarcasm, craziness and romance. Her writing is hauntingly beautiful and so unique. I'm in awe over the way she was able to make me feel like I was apart of the craziness of Mara's world. I liked that each time I thought I was starting to figure out just who Mara Dyer was, another twist would get thrown into the plot line and throw me off. I really don't know how to describe Mara's world other than saying it's something you'd have to read to understand it.

If you're looking for something utterly unique in the YA section, pick up The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. It's definitely a read that will stick with you for a while. On a side note, I LOVE this cover! Not only is it captivating to look at it, but it really captures Mara and Noah's relationship (at least I think so, but maybe I'm delusional). This is definitely a read I'd recommend to reading 13 yrs & older. There is some mild language and some uses of the f word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.