Sam's Reviews > You Are Next

Feb 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, thriller
Read from January 29 to 31, 2011 — I own a copy

Won this through the Goodreads Giveaways.

This book started very promisingly as we are introduced to Karen, an ex-detective who has lost her husband and child to a serial killer known as The Domino Killer (or JPP by the cops, which although a little cheesy I did find quite amusing), as she waits for the escaped murderer in her small Brooklyn flat. As he arrives the scene is tense as she battles with her desire to end her misery and join her family and the need to destroy the man who destroyed her life. After this tense and nerve racking opening the book dives into the sadness, misery and depression of Karin's life, post Domino, slowing the pace right down and bringing the reader with it. Granted she will feel depressed, miserable and suicidal after everything she has gone through but the constant rehashing and reiterising of this detracted from the thrill of the chase and the tension that should have been building with a killer on the loose.

The second half of the book does pick up as Karin begins to move on from her troubled past and looks to the future, only for mayhem and murder to interrupt it once more. The tension does build gradually as Karin and her ex-partner Mac follow the trail left by the Domino killer leading them down an ever darker path and the ending is both climatic and tense. Although there are parts of the book that are a little predictable, especially if you're familiar with this genre of writing, but this doesn't detract from the story too much and there are still a few surprises lurking around the corner.

The characters are generally well written even though Karin's was a little overly dominated by her bereavements and losses but she does begin to move on from these as the book progresses. Although I must say it was nice to see the more vulnerable side of a police detective rather than the more typical revenge and anger driven detective that often dominates this genre. I did find the character of Domino a little flat and a little more could have been done given the huge potential their past provided. On the whole a good read although not one that stands out hugely in this genre, but an author I would definitely read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Next.