Susan's Reviews > The Moonflower Vine

The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton

2872037
Jan 11, 11

Good enough -- would have ranked it higher had it not been written as it was. The author writes of about the experience of a family and retells the story in several sections -- each separate section is told from the perspective of the various members of the family. As you read about the family each different perspective, something new is revealed about the story as it is retold over and over. Not my favorite literary technique -- I find it frustrating. Especially in this case because the most revealing perspective comes from the mother and the father and the mother is at the very end and the father is in the middle. These important details are missing and misplaced -- the entire story doesn't really make sense until you get to the end, which I suppose it the intention. It just frustrates me to have all these fragments and to be unable to connect them in a meaningful way for the majority of the story. I believe a second reading would probably be more satisfying now that I can tie the loose ends together, but I am not interested enough to give this one another go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moonflower Vine.