Marie's Reviews > Then We Came to the End

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: library, fiction, reviewed
Read from January 11 to 15, 2011

'Literary' Shenanigans

Up until the very end, even through the last few chapters about Tom, I wanted to give it three. Although that still may have been generous.

I didn't mind the first person plural point of view, ultimately, at least until the last sentence. Until that last sentence I didn't feel any need to be included in the 'we'. I'm good at distancing myself, so if you want me to include me in your point of view, well, you'd better let me know.

Why was there a short story right in the middle? It went from plural first person past tense, to close second person present tense! Not to mention, in the middle of that, a paragraph in second person past tense.

Some of it was fun, little was particularly insightful, and of the huge cast of characters, all were entirely shallow and conventional. None of them took me by surprise, even Tom---because that just seemed ridiculous. Lynn was interesting, until we got her perspective.

Mostly, just too long, I think. And no build up to the end, which just sort of ended. And until the very very last page, I still didn't mind too much, though I didn't exactly like it. Just. Annoying.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then We Came to the End.

01/11/2011 page 15
4.0% "I'm not sure of the 'we'."
01/14/2011 page 196
51.0% "Well, I really like Jim's Uncle Max--who showed up for some 3 pages. Other than to find out what's up with Lynn's cancer, I don't know why I keep reading."
show 1 hidden update…