Sesh's Reviews > Witch's Canyon

U_50x66
Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Between Jeff Mariotte and Keith DeCandido, I feel Mariotte has a better grasp on plot and setting. The descriptions are rich -- for a tv tie-in, that is -- and the zombies are varied, giving a unique set of dangers for each victim to face (the insect swarm was a personal favorite of mine). For those looking for horror-film amounts of gore, well, this book will probably please. In one of the later chapters, there's even a several-page montage of death scenes, each one different from the last. Points for creativity, at least.

Unfortunately, this is where Mariotte's talent ends, as Sam and Dean's characterization, dialogue, and general interactions with other characters feels stiff and at times out of character. I never got the sense that I was watching an actual episode of the show from this book, but instead was reading about two cookie-cutter generic guys that just happened to be named Sam and Dean, who happened to stumble upon a paranormal event. Indeed, the brothers seem to barely be involved with any of the goings-on in the book until the very end, instead listening to the town history as told by other characters, and tagging along for the ride.

If this had been an original novel, where Mariotte could have developed the characters into his own creations, this might have been a better book. As it stands, it reads like someone's first fanfiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witch's Canyon.