Lisa Kay's Reviews > Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas

Magical Realism or Not?

Yes, I do think Kleypas 'blew a kiss toward' magical realism in Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor in the first toy store scene (an enchanted place for everyone) (view spoiler). It brought a smile to my lips.

There are a lot of other subtle things. The majority of the book takes place on an island, evocative of an exotic locale. I can almost smell the sea air and feel the breeze. The smooth, warm taste of roasted coffee Mark has made from his own labors. Sam valiantly works the soil while tending his vineyards, with a Victorian house - often a time period for magical realism - in the background. And Alex desperately needs some sort of mystical intervention. The magic of the season (both Halloween and Christmas). The letter to Santa.

But most of all, we know this is a HEA novella, so there is a sensual aura of exploration and driving force of destiny whenever Mark and Maggie interact. Yes, LK just gave a tiny nod to the genre, but it was well done and done so sweetly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“I like pessimists. They’re always the ones who bring life jackets for the boat.”
Lisa Kleypas, Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Susan Mallery I loved this book, too. For such a short book, Lisa really did an amazing job of establishing a sense of place. Can't wait to read the rest in the series!

Lisa Kay LK chooses her words so carefully. She is amazing. I have been reading her books for eons and it is a joy to see her become a better writer each year.

Ronyell Awesome review Lisa Kay!!