Crystal's Reviews > Haven

Haven by Kristi Cook

Jan 11, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read from January 11 to 14, 2011

I really liked this one. I can't deny certain similarities between this and well you know the "book" that seems to be the trademark for paranormal these days but, there were enough surprises that I felt like it delivered a solid and unique story.
Violet finds herself in a new boarding school after the death of her father. She has always been different but little does she know that what makes her different will make her ordinary in her new school. Violet of course garners the attention of the most sought after boy in school and they quickly become more than just friends. What I liked her was that it wasn't all easy. Violet let her true feelings show and she didn't shy away from her fear when she learns the mysterious truth involving Aiden. In previous books I have read there wasn't ever any of the scared factor that should play into these types of books. I also liked how Violet would go days without seeing Aiden. They didn't have to be around each other 24/7. At the end Violet does learn that things are going to become even more complicated than either she or Aiden first thought and I am very curious as to see what will happen next. Will Aiden find his "cure"? Will Violet find her "sisters"? Is Isabel really Violet reincarnated? So many questions were left unanswered and one of the biggest at least as far as this storyline was why was Allison repeating Julius' name?? I thought for sure that would have been answered but nope! So maybe Allison will play a larger role in the next installment. I am assuming there will be a sequel. All in all a good read and I was very surprised by the end. I never saw that coming! I refuse to spoil it so if you want to know you are going to have to read it!

Thanks Simon and Schuster!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.

~Tina~ Yay's!! I'm glad you enjoyed this one as much as me:)

Crystal I did :) it was a great debut!

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Now I don't know... I had decided not to read it until I just read your review. Do you think I'll like this one? I really don't like when series starters leave so many unanswered questions. Gah! Decision! Decisions! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Crystal LOL I don't know! I would say give it a try =) The characters were great imo, a lot better than the books you can compare it too. Just be prepared for the whole typical ya paranormal storyline and you should like all the new twists.