Sherryl's Reviews > The Crippled God

The Crippled God by Steven Erikson

Jan 11, 2011

bookshelves: anticipated-books-of-2011, 2011-feb, epic-fantasy, favorites
Recommended for: fans of epic fantasy
Read in February, 2011 — I own a copy

The Crippled God is the tenth and last book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. TCG is the second half of Dust of Dreams. DOD ended in a gigantic cliff-hanger so I had a lot of expectations for this book. It did not disappoint. The slowness that plague the last two books is gone here. What we got is pages and pages of bad ass, epic awesomeness.

--------

It's sad that the Malazan series has ended. For all it's flaws, it was a damn great series with fantastic memorable characters. The fact that I won't be able to read more about Kalam, Paran, Fiddler, the Bonehunters, the Bridgeburners, Tehol, Bugg, Ublala, Hellian, and the rest makes me feel empty. This is the first fantasy series that I've followed over the years that has successfully reached it's ending. I expect to feel the same when WOT ends next year.

Erikson had said that he's going to take a break before writing the Kharkanas trilogy. He more than deserves the rest after the grueling years of putting out book after book, but it means that aside from ICE's novels, there won't be a Malazan book to look forward to in the near future. It's my selfish hope that he's not going to take years before he starts writing again. Meanwhile, I'm going to savor rereading the series.

Kudos to Erikson and Esslemont for creating the world of Malaz and it's cast of wonderful characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crippled God.