Misty's Reviews > Lips Touch: Three Times

Lips Touch by Laini Taylor

Apr 05, 13

bookshelves: recommended, short-stories, own, signed, sci_fi-fantasy, supernatural-paranormal, folklore-myth-fable-fairy-tall-tale, author-to-watch, juvenile-ya, read-in-2013
Recommended to Misty by: Tatiana and Kat
Read from February 24 to 27, 2013

I think it's already been decided that I'm a Laini Taylor fangirl. I can't help but fall for her gorgeously lush writing. But that said, there's always a slight worry with me when I pick up something different by an author - what works in longform may not work in short; her prose is gorgeous, but how well would it adapt to novella style?
Clearly I needn't have worried. Taylor's writing is as gorgeous as ever, and she packs a lot of punch into stories that are short and sweet - perfectly-sized to devour in one sitting.

Each of the stories has a distinct feel, which is especially nice in a set centering around the same thing (so it doesn't feel like three successive "I just read that"s), but they all flow into one another and work together as a whole. Through the three stories, Taylor gives different sides of the same coin, using the central theme of the power of a kiss to explore very different worlds and characters, and their reasons for - and reactions to - a kiss. My favorite would of the three would probably change on any given day, purely based on mood, because they are all fantastic and memorable. But I think there's something bright and vibrant - and deeply melancholic - about Goblin Fruit that instantly appeals to me. Plus: goblins. (And I've already said how I feel about them.)

Her prose, as always, is evocative and gorgeous, creating elaborate, memorable worlds out of thin air. It is enhanced by the accompanying artwork, which is fricking fantastic. Each story is preceded by a series of illustrations that aren't simply scenes from the story, but rather scenes in addition to the story. Sort of artistic prologues to each of the three novellas; Jim Di Bartolo didn't just illustrate the story, he expanded it. The color palette is great, the whole thing feels very unified and cohesive, and the art, rather than being distracting or tacked-on, really adds a layer. It's an extra little something to pore over and savor, along with the gorgeous writing.

So far, Laini is 3 for 3...
(So the marriage proposal stands.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lips Touch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatiana I know my name is already up there, but you HAVE to read it even if you don't like the cover. And title.

Misty :) Figured you'd be the first to comment. I've noticed you mention it a few times lately, and I know Kat has, too, so I figured it must be worth the buzz.

Tatiana This book doesn't get buzzed enough IMO.

Inoli I had to take a minute to bring this book back to the forefront of your mind.

Misty I just got it in the mail two days ago. So it's there, especially after reading the snippet on the back. Unfortunately, I have a 10 or so book stack that I have to get through first, before I can even THINK about reading it.

Inoli Purpose served: two times.

Sorry. My fingers did that without consulting my mind.

Misty Bwahahahahaha!
Thanks, I needed something silly like that in my day.
^_^

message 8: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Wow! 5 stars? I'm adding it to my to-read. :)

Misty I would say 4.5, but yeah, I love Taylor's writing. Have you read anything by her, Ashley?

message 10: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley No, I've honestly never heard of her.

Misty !!! OMG, you need to pick up Daughter of Smoke and Bone asap. You'd love her. =D (You and Jenn both, and I really wish GR had a tagging system like FB so Jenn would get a notification on that.)

message 12: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley I didn't realize this was the person who wrote Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Book club is reading that in July. :)

Misty =)

Amanda Allen Blackbringer is delightful as well of you haven't read that.

Misty I haven't, but I do own it!