Ithlilian's Reviews > The Better Part of Darkness

The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay

Jan 11, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2010

A few things push this book from good to great. First, the main character is one I can empathize with. She is not super tough. She has flaws but she is not whiny or overly sensitive. Unlike most urban fantasy heroines she has a child and is a very loyal and devoted mother. Her history is interesting and really drives the novel. I wanted to know what happened when she died and came back to life and I planned to keep reading until I found out. Everything was very well presented. The mystery was present but did not overrun the plot. Sometimes when I read urban fantasy I feel like I'm reading a badly written mystery with a few paranormal elements. With The Better Part of Darkness I felt like I was reading a story about a compelling woman in a believable paranormal world. The mystery flowed with the story. It didn't take over the plot, and it didn't take a back seat. Great balance. This book has everything needed to make a great series. The first book laid out an interesting world, the main character solved the mystery she set out to solve, and there is plenty left to explore and learn. You have to keep readers interested by leaving certain plot lines open, but there is a fine line between no closure and just the right amount. The Better Part of Darkness has just the right amount of closure with plenty twists left to keep the reader coming back for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Better Part of Darkness.