Ithlilian's Reviews > Running with the Demon

Jan 11, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in December, 2009

I decided to read this series because it is technically a prequel to Terry Brooks' other large series. I wasn't quite ready to delve into that monstrous series, and I'm usually a fan of urban fantasy, so this seemed like a great place to start. Unfortunately, Running With the Demon is more like a Stephen King novel then an urban fantasy. The magic is at a minimum and the suspense and action is practically non existent. The plot is very simple, if an angel type character doesn't stop a demon from touching a girl then the world will end. There is a creature trapped in a tree, emotion sucking monsters, and a talking stick figure, but not much else. I found myself skipping over how people were planning on sabotaging a company, how the main character met the stick figure, and other such things. There was simply not enough substance in this book. The plot was predictable, the characters were uninteresting, and there was no depth to this tale. I managed to finish the book, but now I'm wondering why I really bothered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running with the Demon.